• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Interesting 4G Speed Observation

. But I am starting not to trust the speedtest.net app. It just doesn't seem to work correctly.

I'm not trusting any of the speedtest sites or apps. The variations between them are just too great. (And the variation from test to test is even worse--I've seen a difference of 300% on tests run a few minutes apart, using the same app.)

It's hard to tell exactly what your bottleneck is. The number of hops can vary from test to test, and certainly from one test site to another. I think the closest you'll find to an accurate test would be to download a large file direct from Sprint, time it, and calculate the speed yourself. But even there, you don't know how many hops it takes between the Sprint server and the tower than finally sends it to you.

Someone's been touting the speakeasy site, so I tried it. I got somewhat higher 4G speeds than using other tests, but drastically lower 3G speeds. Makes no sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones