• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Interface Resource Shortage - What it is and how to deal with it

Leslie Ann

Android Expert
Feb 13, 2011
Interface Resource shortage, we have all seen it by now.

What is it?
Ever go to a webpage and it takes a long time to load and you get a "Timeout Error"? What this means is that it took too long to get the page, and it gave up, or "timed out".

Interface Resource Shortage is exactly the same, it took too long to deliver your message (or connect your call) and timed out. However, unlike the web page, if you give it a moment, it will usually re-send it when it can (or let you make a call once connected again).

So why do we see it so much?
Different phones have different time out times, some short, some long. Some just simply do not tell you there was an issue. Someone at HTC decided to make ours short, and when it happens to give us a big error message, instead of just waiting or telling us that it was delayed pr cannot connect. That's all there is to it.

It doesn't help that we have a fluctuating signal, and when that happens, the phone will think it has no network and times out as well for not just text messages, but also for calls.

How do we fix it?
You have four options, arranged from most effective to least effective.

The first and by far the most effective is to change a few things, radios and PRI combinations can extend the timeout and change the error message. Some radios increase signal strength and reduce fluctuations. Unfortunately, while this method really helps, it also requires you to be S-off.

The second method is similar to the first, but only involves a PRI fix. Honestly, if you are going to use method two, just do method one instead. You will get all around better results.

The third method isn't permanent but will last a bit, and that is to refresh your activation. This is done from your phone and doesn't delete any data, it merely tells your phone to check in with Virgin and reset your connection to them. This isn't a permanent solution, it may last an hour, it may last 3 days, but doesn't require root or S-off.

The last method is to simply ignore it.
As mentioned it's really not as big of an issue as people make it out to be. The error message is just telling you it's delayed in a convoluted way.

"Interface Resource Shortage is exactly the same, it took too long to deliver your message and timed out. However, unlike the web page, if you give it a moment, it will usually re-send it when it can (or tell you it couldn't)."

that doesnt explain why the phone will go to -120 dbm .you do not have to be sending texts to get the error.unless you have the signal notification app you have no idea if your phone already went to -120 dbm since it will still show full bars.so when you go to send a text thinking you have full bars you dont and will get the error.

Upvote 0
"Interface Resource Shortage is exactly the same, it took too long to deliver your message and timed out. However, unlike the web page, if you give it a moment, it will usually re-send it when it can (or tell you it couldn't)."

that doesnt explain why the phone will go to -120 dbm .you do not have to be sending texts to get the error.unless you have the signal notification app you have no idea if your phone already went to -120 dbm since it will still show full bars.so when you go to send a text thinking you have full bars you dont and will get the error.

The timeout happens because a loss of network or at least it thinks it lost connection to the network. This is why it effects calls and sms. I focused on SMS because it is where most people see the issue and by doing this, more people would understand it.

There is some debate as to whether the phone is actually losing the signal or if it thinks it's losing the signal. Either way, the result is the same and going into theory as to whether it's the phone, an app, or the network causing the issue is more than most people need or want to hear.

Did I over-simplify it, of course, that was the whole point. Most people just want a brief explanation they can understand and move on. I will make a minor change to better reflect that it does effect calls as well though.

Reactions: DustbinK and Fhuron
Upvote 0
The timeout happens because a loss of network or at least it thinks it lost connection to the network. This is why it effects calls and sms. I focused on SMS because it is where most people see the issue and by doing this, more people would understand it.

There is some debate as to whether the phone is actually losing the signal or if it thinks it's losing the signal. Either way, the result is the same and going into theory as to whether it's the phone, an app, or the network causing the issue is more than most people need or want to hear.

Did I over-simplify it, of course, that was the whole point. Most people just want a brief explanation they can understand and move on. I will make a minor change to better reflect that it does effect calls as well though.

to me its a no service error because thats what is happening.either the phone doesnt think you have service or the tower doesnt think you have service.thats why when your phone goes to -120 dbm and you shut it off and turn it back on the phone will now show no bars with a x over them.well mine does anyways.

Upvote 0
to me its a no service error because thats what is happening.either the phone doesnt think you have service or the tower doesnt think you have service.thats why when your phone goes to -120 dbm and you shut it off and turn it back on the phone will now show no bars with a x over them.well mine does anyways.

mine does that as well, and a few times when i reboot the phone after the error it says no service and i have to reboot it again, it did that once while on phone with tech support and he said he had to reactivate that my info was incomplete after the reboot

Upvote 0

It's not the tower thinking you have no service.

The "fix everything" method pretty much eliminates the problem and when it does have an issue, it gives some information about why. The only thing we aren't sure of is if it's listing the signal or only thinks it is. Either way, Sprint firmware fixes it.

Sprint users experienced the same problems when they flashed our firmware.

Upvote 0
What is it?
An error message that has existed for a few months now, and will probably continue to exist until...you switch phones or carriers.

So why do we see it so much?
Because Virgin Mobile has better things to do with the money we give them every month than to actually fix problems with their devices.

How do we fix it?
By switching to a carrier that actually cares about its customers. I think I already know Virgin's solution to the problem, its coming out August 22nd. Get a new phone. Prepaid carriers like Virgin don't get as much money as contract carriers, so this is how they make up for it I guess, sell a broken phone with issues, in hopes that you'll quickly upgrade when you see how many issues your new phone has. Lets see what errors they manage to stuff into the new phone that's coming out on the 22nd. This is the last time I will ever buy a phone from a CDMA carrier, especially Sprint or its subsidiaries. Nothing but problems and limitations.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones