• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal SD gets Full rapidly in T.mobile Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4g

I really need help with my phone. It's the Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S Blaze. It's Memory is divided into Device Memory for. 1.12 Gb and Internal USB Storage for 1.4 GB. I've installed an External 32gb SD card , but in reality cannot utilize it much.

The Problem is the Internal USB storage which is used for application data and catch is gets full in a snap. The main problem is the Thumbnail picture catch , which is stored in the /mnt/sdcard/DCIM and it takes more than 1 gb of that Small internal USB space. As soon as I delete the thumbnail cache the device will do a media scan and build it once again within a few second I removed the thumbnail cache. I've set the device Camera to save all the pictures in the External SD card which it does, but all the thumbnail is just automatically stored in the Internal USB. :mad:
I've also moved the /mnt/sdcard/DCIM folder many times into the SD card itself ( /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/DCIM )trying to make the device save the cache in external SD card , but it once again build up the cache and put in in the Internal USB storage. . Don't know what to do. All I need is to force the device to save the thumbnail in the External SD card not into the Internal USB storage which is only 1.4 gb. Is there any solutions ? The problem is the device Internal USB is always full making the apps not to be able to run properly or freez . The internal Storage of 1.1 is also very low. Is there anyway to force all the apps to be installed in External SD rather than the Device memory ? ( I know some apps allow you to move them , but almost half of the apps wont let you do that ) . But my pain problem is the thumbnail cache. BTW. Regardless of How much picture I have on my External SD card, as long as the total picture size is over 1.5 Gb , it creates a thumbnail cache of 1.25 gb ; no matter I have 2gb of pictures in external SD or 10 Gb .
Please is there anyway to make it utilize the SD card, specially about this Thumbnail cache ? :thinking:

Thank You:)

The only thing you can do is root the device. I have done a little search and found that there is a root method and it looks like a few different ROMs for this device. Using the built in Move to SDCARD does not really move stuff to the sdcard just a little bit of your data and thats it the rest is still stored in the devices internal Memory. You would need to root your device and use a app like Link2SD which can store your apps and data on a partition of your external SDCARD. Checking our All things root guide for your device does not show how to root the device so you may have to search over at XDA on the method of how to do so with this particular device. Some ROMs also allow you to switch the internal and External SDCARD paths which may help with the thumbnail issue you are having. Again all this depends on rooting this devices.

Reactions: ashashblue
Upvote 0
The only thing you can do is root the device. I have done a little search and found that there is a root method and it looks like a few different ROMs for this device. Using the built in Move to SDCARD does not really move stuff to the sdcard just a little bit of your data and thats it the rest is still stored in the devices internal Memory. You would need to root your device and use a app like Link2SD which can store your apps and data on a partition of your external SDCARD. Checking our All things root guide for your device does not show how to root the device so you may have to search over at XDA on the method of how to do so with this particular device. Some ROMs also allow you to switch the internal and External SDCARD paths which may help with the thumbnail issue you are having. Again all this depends on rooting this devices.
Thank you a lot, I thought about rooting this device but the problem is I have never done this but will begin researching on how to do so. You mentioned to search over XDA , what is it exactly ? is it a website ? . Once if I successfully root the device, I know I can force move the apps or link them to SD card with "link2Sd" ( again have no idea if force move is better or linking to sd! ) , this will certainly help me with moving the apps from Internal Memory to SD.
But my question remains, even after rooting, How can I force the device to save the thumbnails on the External SD card and Not Internal USB storage ? is there a particular application or system file I need to move or link to achieve this thing / ?

You also mentioned to "switch the internal and External SDCARD paths" if possible , that will certainly correct the situation , but can it be done with Link2SD app ?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Thank you a lot, I thought about rooting this device but the problem is I have never done this but will begin researching on how to do so. You mentioned to search over XDA , what is it exactly ? is it a website ? . Once if I successfully root the device, I know I can force move the apps or link them to SD card with "link2Sd" ( again have no idea if force move is better or linking to sd! ) , this will certainly help me with moving the apps from Internal Memory to SD.
But my question remains, even after rooting, How can I force the device to save the thumbnails on the External SD card and Not Internal USB storage ? is there a particular application or system file I need to move or link to achieve this thing / ?

You also mentioned to "switch the internal and External SDCARD paths" if possible , that will certainly correct the situation , but can it be done with Link2SD app ?

Thanks again

XDA is a website

Link2SD will not switch your sdpaths that has to be done in the rom Link2SD will only allow you to move apps or link apps from the partition of your SDCARD.

In order to switch the paths you must have a ROM that Supports it. I don't know if any of the ROMS available for your device do or not since I don't have that device to test it with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones