• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Manually updating to 4.0.4

Now that the signal problems with 4.0.4 have been sorted out, I fancy updating from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4. I still haven't had an OTA update, so am considering updating manually.

A Samsung repair centre gave my phone back to me with an unlocked bootloader. I doubt it's been rooted, but the unlocked padlock when I start the phone tells me the bootloader's been unlocked.

Reading [REF] [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Official Google OTA update URLs - xda-developers I think that I need to follow method 2 (Stock recovery installed, Unlocked bootloader). Although very well-written, I think this method assumes that I have something installed on my PC that I don't have. Had I unlocked the bootloader myself, I would probably already have that on my PC.

Please excuse my ignorance, what software do I need to install on my PC?

To be honest, I'm a bit wary of doing anything that will invalidate my warranty, but ought to learn more about rooting and custom ROMs at some point.

You need to have basically three sets of things:
1. Drivers
2. adb.exe and fastboot.exe
3. custom recovery and su.zip

All this software you can find it in Scary Alien's guide to root for the GNex which is posted in this forum. It's really well written and straight forward so I don't think you'll have any problem understanding it.

As soon as I get on my computer I'll edit this post and add a hyperlink to Scary Alien's post, but you can go ahead and look it up.

Hope this helps!

I forgot to add that once you root your phone, you'll need the update file 4.0.4 GSM or LTE (depending on which you have) and you can install it manually in recovery mode or from ROM manager app.

Edit.
Here's the link to the thread.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I messed around with my softbuttons, so the OTA to 4.0.4 failed.

Trying to do it manually, but having an arse of a time trying to get what i *think* is my backup SystemUI.apk back in place of my custom one so i can update (it's giving Status 7 error when i try to update due to systemUI)

Trying to push what i hope is the backup by ADB, in standard recovery/fastboot mode

./adb-mac push SystemUI.apk /system/app/SystemUI.apk

i get

"error, device not found" in the mac Terminal.

Any ideas? fastboot commands work fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones