• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Rooting and OTA's

sequre

Mar 11, 2010
One thing doesnt make much sense to me, please correct me if I'm wrong... I know that the Nexus devices are always the first to receive updates, but wouldn't rooting the device prevent the OTA from taking place? Or is it not like the others?

If this is the case, I could foresee alot of rooting, unrooting, applying update, re-rooting, etc as I plan to keep the stock ICS OS.

One thing doesnt make much sense to me, please correct me if I'm wrong... I know that the Nexus devices are always the first to receive updates, but wouldn't rooting the device prevent the OTA from taking place? Or is it not like the others?

If this is the case, I could foresee alot of rooting, unrooting, applying update, re-rooting, etc as I plan to keep the stock ICS OS.

Rooting in and of itself typically just involves finding a way to get the su binary and the Superuser.apk (whitelist) app installed. The presence of these files does not necessarily keep and OTA from coming in and being applied (I've experienced this first-hand for both my Eris and my Droid X).

There are measures you can take to prevent OTAs from coming in, being looked for, or being applied while you are rooted.

Also, typically, custom ROMs already have this OTA-prevention baked-in or at least toggle-able.

Hope that helps :).

Upvote 0
Strange because I know when I had my incredible rooted with no custom ROMS it never took any of the updates because it had s-off.

Well, on my HTC Droid Eris, you can get an S-OFF HBOOT (bootloader) without affecting any of the other partitions, etc. (i.e., you can be stock, un-rooted, but have the unsecured (S-OFF) HBOOT). For the Eris (and presumably other HTC phones, too), the installed recovery has a lot to do with whether or not an OTA can be installed (recovery is involved with that process, at least for the Eris).

I was being a little general in my reply above since there are many ways to achieve root (unsecured bootloaders, various root exploits, custom recoveries, etc.) and will be different for each Android device. In custom ROMs, the ROM devs usually disable the OTA update .apk (it varies from vendor to vendor which .apk).

Probably the best folks to ask or get an answer from regarding the Galaxy Nexus would be a current Nexus S rooter, since I've heard that the root environment will be similar to that device.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I am hoping i only have to unlock / root once. I dont plan on putting any custom roms. All I plan on doing it rooting to use apps like titanium backup and tethering. Hopefully that wont effect me receiving the latest and greatest from google. If it does and I end up having to wipe my phone and re-root every update I might hold off for a while.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones