• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Question about removing touchwiz

I know there is a bat I can run in ADB that removes the bloatware and optionally removes touchwiz. What I am wondering is if I will lose features like s voice and smart stay, and that 'tap the back of the phone to scroll to the top' feature?

I have Touchwiz frozen with Titanium Backup and all of those features are still there.

Upvote 0
Does freezing touchwiz give stock ics, with all stock apps?

No. Touchwiz is just the launcher. You cannot freeze it until you have installed an alternative launcher from the market, like Apex, Nova or Go.

Many launchers look like Stock ICS or can do with a theme.

The Samsung Apps remain in place and usable. Touchwiz is really just a homescreen skin, if you will. Although its a bit deeper than that.

Basically, Touchwiz is what you see on the homescreen, including the actual homescreen, the app drawer and the menu that pops up when you press menu from the home screen. PLus all the actions you can do from the homescreen or app drawer. Thats what touchwiz is.

Upvote 0
No. Touchwiz is just the launcher. You cannot freeze it until you have installed an alternative launcher from the market, like Apex, Nova or Go.

The Samsung Apps remain in place and usable. Touchwiz is really just a homescreen skin, if you will. Although its a bit deeper than that.

Basically, Touchwiz is what you see on the homescreen, including the actual homescreen, the app drawer and the menu that pops up when you press menu from the home screen. PLus all the actions you can do from the homescreen or app drawer. Thats what touchwiz is.
OK. Thanks. In that case, I REALLY hope a good JB AOSP/AOKP(whats the difference?) rom is available soon.

Upvote 0
Touchwiz is just a launcher. If you put a good launcher on the Sammy, then use an ICS theme for the ROM, the ROM is 100 times more functional than AOSP.

I would NEVER use AOSP on the S3 as Samsung have put so much into it. This coming from an AOSP developer. If you want AOSP, get a Galaxy Nexus because then you're not missing out on all the cool stuff the S3 has

Upvote 0
Touchwiz is just a launcher. If you put a good launcher on the Sammy, then use an ICS theme for the ROM, the ROM is 100 times more functional than AOSP.

I would NEVER use AOSP on the S3 as Samsung have put so much into it. This coming from an AOSP developer. If you want AOSP, get a Galaxy Nexus because then you're not missing out on all the cool stuff the S3 has
Fair point. I just hope they remove S-Voice in favor of Google now in the JB version. Random question: Is there a way to get the stock S3 messaging app to not use bubbles but use the 'android' style? I don't have the phone yet and I'm just wondering.

Upvote 0

Hi,
I am running Apex launcher. Phone is rooted and I amusing the omega rom with siyah kernel. What is the advantage of freezing touchwiz with titanium? Or would this make no difference to me running omega with apex launcher?
Cheers, Rich

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones