• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Introducing myself

Hey Android Forum members, pfschim checking in to say hello and introduce myself.

Just got a Galaxy S3 after having had my iPhone 4S (32gb) stolen while travelling (in Chicago). Did not want to hump the replacement fee for the iP, and have been watching progress on the Android phones and decided to give the Galaxy S3 (16gb) a try.

So far its ok. I have been a iP user for sometime now and have got quite comfortable with that device and its interface and functions. I am technically capable enough to have been able to jailbreak and untether an iP3G, but I would not call myself a tech genius or anything.

There has been a bit of learning curve for me trying to get things to work as I would prefer (turning off constant notifications, importing my media librbary, setting up some familiar functions and apps etc.).

I am neutral about the S3 and Android for the moment. It has already proved a disappointment compared to the iP in a couple of areas:

importing/syncing my iTunes music library.
I have a pretty big music library that is a mixture of direct rips and purchases from iTunes (ratio is about 70/30). I have found no easy way to get the purchased music to play on the S3. Tried DoubleTwist and Winamp with no success. This is kind of a big deal to me and I really want to have my full music library available to me.

syncing to my Infiniti 2011 G37S
bluetooth works for the phone function, but there is no USB support for the music library. This was totally seamless with the iP4. I know part of the blame here is on Infiniti for not supporting Android, but its also on Samsung for not pushing it. Not a fatal issue for me, just aggravating.

In general my sense of the S3 and Android is similar to my experience with Linux. I am a long time MS Win user, and am very comfortable in that environment. I also have multi-boot mixed OS systems (Suse, Debian, Kanotix) . Ultimately I go back to Win because, by Win7 it just works with everything I need (media, cameras, networking) whereas Linux sorta works, but not always and often only after some pretty painful twiddling of the mechanics of the OS.

Anyway. not here to complain really. Just wanted to introduce and see what I can learn from the community.

Thanks

Paul

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones