• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone, Perfect From The Beginning

.. but this thread is all about iPhones - says so in the title .. ??

Re BMW's DTC (thanks to whoever found the acronym): following Lunatic59 sterling research work, I now know that it's on by default so I can confidently say that, whatever the BMW marketeers might claim, in snow it's complete pants.

In less than 1" of fresh snow, first gear, barely moving, engine barely ticking over, the car still somehow managed to fish tail. I mean, top marks for entertainment, for safety, not so much :)

Upvote 0
What kind of tires are on the car? Tires make the biggest difference of all. If you're driving a BMW in the snow on UHP summer tires (which are popular on performance cars), that would be your bad for not changing out seasonal tires.

There's also a responsibility to know how to drive as well. Because FWD card are so nose-heavy, they can do some really nasty things if the driver lets them get to their limits. Because all the weight is up front, once the tires let go, FWD cars become spinning tops that can't be controlled. And while having all the engine's weight is ideal for when you're parked, under dynamic conditions the car's center of gravity can actually be in front of the entire car under panic braking (really bad for vehicle stability), or behind the drive and steering wheels going uphill. It's pretty much the same problem that RERD cars like the older Porsche 911 cars suffered from. Except with FWD, the two front tires are doing all the work!

Upvote 0
You're right - I didn't change the tyres.

In the south of the UK, we don't tend to switch to winter tyres as our climate is unusually temperate given our latitude (thank you, Gulf Stream): in the past, we rarely had snow more than once every two or three years.

Plenty of rain and constant cloud, but snow, not so much.

Plus, when would we know to change them back? It's not like summer's so different :)

May be that global warming has changed all that, of course .. Strange that warming can make it so darn cold :)

Upvote 0
.. but this thread is all about iPhones - says so in the title .. ??

Re BMW's DTC (thanks to whoever found the acronym): following Lunatic59 sterling research work, I now know that it's on by default so I can confidently say that, whatever the BMW marketeers might claim, in snow it's complete pants.

In less than 1" of fresh snow, first gear, barely moving, engine barely ticking over, the car still somehow managed to fish tail. I mean, top marks for entertainment, for safety, not so much :)

In the south of the UK, we don't tend to switch to winter tyres as our climate is unusually temperate given our latitude (thank you, Gulf Stream): in the past, we rarely had snow more than once every two or three years.

Plenty of rain and constant cloud, but snow, not so much.

Plus, when would we know to change them back? It's not like summer's so different :)

May be that global warming has changed all that, of course .. Strange that warming can make it so darn cold :)

even with bad tires on... with full traction control on... it will not break the tires loose... driving straight.

only way to fish tail with traction control on...if you are driving around corners to fast.. or weaving back and forth in slippery conditions at unsafe speeds. if that is the case.. only proper skill and training can help here. slow down when the roads slippery/wet/unsafe.

iphones' look has not changed much over time.. kind of boring to me.

Upvote 0
When I switched to UHP summer tires on my Mustang, I had to accept the fact that because of the tires, the car wasn't safe to operate below the tires' operating temperature range. I realized that if I took the car out on a cold day and got into a crash, I'd be automatically at fault because of an equipment violation. And that's why I had a winter car. :)

There are plenty of good all-weather tires that offer close to UHP summer tire performance while still maintaining a tread compound that doesn't get hard when the temperature goes down. Tires like that are more than adequate for driving on public roads in weather that you're likely to encounter in the UK.

If you're taking the car to the track a lot, or driving in ways that the law doesn't exactly permit ;), then it might be worth the extra effort to change tires. MOF if you're a hard driver on UHP tires, they'll wear out so often that you'll need to replace them anyway. :D The guys at "Top Gear" can burn through a set of costly UHP tires in just a couple of hours!

So if it's a car that's driven to the track, the best time to change tires is right before and after racing. :thumb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones