• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help is a Scratchguard required for SGS-2 !

augustya

Sep 19, 2010
Since the Screen on the SGS-2 is a Gorilla Glass (is it a Gorilla Glass ?) which makes it Scratch proof, is a Scratch Guard/ Screen Guard really required in SGS-2 ? I know some of you would say it is better to have it ? But my question is keeping aside having it is better factor, is it really required ? Like the Iphone 4/4S Screen is also a Gorilla Glass display it absolutely doesn't require any protection what so ever !!

If I use it properly keep it all the time in the case that comes along with it, remove from it only when I am using it, taking such a proper care of it will it still require me to put a Scratch Guard on it. Ideally I don

u definitely dont need a screen protector if ur just using it normally. some people work in conditions that put the phone thru a bit more of a test :D so they need a screen protector, but if ur usage will be in normal circumstances, u definitely dont need one. ive been using mine for 6 months now, and im not the most careful person, n there's not a single visible mark on my screen.

btw, yes, the SGS2's screen is gorilla glass.. and im pretty sure the iphone 4/4S isnt gorilla glass but one of apple's own scratch resistant materials

Reactions: augustya
Upvote 0
You should be okay as long as you follow your plan on keeping it in a case.

I took my out my case for 1 day to see how much lighter and thinner it is, and now how a small scratch and tiny dent on my screen. Not really noticed when screen is on as that small, but still annoying as I know it's there, and not perfect anymore :(

so no, you don't need one as long as case constantly used.

Reactions: augustya
Upvote 0
u definitely dont need a screen protector if ur just using it normally. some people work in conditions that put the phone thru a bit more of a test :D so they need a screen protector, but if ur usage will be in normal circumstances, u definitely dont need one. ive been using mine for 6 months now, and im not the most careful person, n there's not a single visible mark on my screen.

btw, yes, the SGS2's screen is gorilla glass.. and im pretty sure the iphone 4/4S isnt gorilla glass but one of apple's own scratch resistant materials

And what are the chances of any dust particles coming through wind or weather which are likely to cause any damage. Like for e.g If I am using it in a open road or a street or a open place and if it is windy or even if it is not windy for that matter any chance of the screen getting a scartch because of the any minute, fine dust particles present in the air or weather which can cause it to happen.

So Gorilla Glass by its nature are scratch resistant right ?

Upvote 0
yes, gorilla glass is a name (brand?) of scratch resistant glass.. its pretty tough.
to make it clear, i dont use even a case.. i find adding anythign to the size of this phone is just messing up the beauty of the slim design.. and i live currently in ho chi minh city, not the cleanest or most pollution-free city in the world :D and i use it on the streets, there's plenty of dust.. i just carefully wipe the screen often.. thts about it. not that careful, just reasonably so.. and i havent got a single mark on my screen. same with my old ipod touch first gen.. 3 years, no case.. not a mark on the screen

Reactions: drogon and augustya
Upvote 0
Scratch resistance is not scratch proof. If you drop it while you're using it and there's even the smallest particle of material denser then the gorilla glass, you will get a scratch. Sand contains particles of different minerals that can damage the screen, accidental touches by jewelry can cause a lot of damage too. It's just bad luck most of the time, I don't use a screen protector on my sgs1 and have dropped it several times. Once it slid across the floor for half a meter face down, no scratches so far but i do have dents on the plastic covering the corners. Use a good case for carrying it around though, mine has saved my phone from drowning in snow at least twice.

Upvote 0
Scratch resistance is not scratch proof. If you drop it while you're using it and there's even the smallest particle of material denser then the gorilla glass, you will get a scratch. Sand contains particles of different minerals that can damage the screen

So there is a possibility that since sand contains different particles which can still cause scratch on the screen, even if it is a Gorilla Glass !! I know if the phone falls down it is a different scene altogether.

Upvote 0
i said construction or that kinda thing as the extreme :D in ur condition, i highly doubt ur gonna need screen protection :)

I know I am asking this again and again...But this is just to 100% convince meyself so I dont spoil my cute new baby ! So I am sorry about it for asking it again :) So you are saying you dont see an need of having a screen protector even if I in my normal life was using it while travelling in Bus, Trains, while using it on the street roads while walking.

Upvote 0
I have had my SGS2 for 6 months now. I have never had a screen protector on it, although I did have a case for about a month which I have now taken off. I do not have any scratched or marks on my phone (except a teeny one on the camera which does not affect pictures) and I walk to & from work down a busy main road and work in an office 9-5. I've even been to the beach with it and on walks on cliff tops and in the forest.

As a few people have said, Gorilla Glass is scratch RESISTANT not scratch PROOF, so there is always a chance (however small) that you may get a scratch, but in my experience, it is very unlikely if you're looking after your phone and do not drop it/leave it on rough surfaces.

Upvote 0
you dont see an need of having a screen protector even if I in my normal life was using it while travelling in Bus, Trains, while using it on the street roads while walking.

Under those circumstances, no. My own has been unprotected for over two months and the screen is still pristine. Prior to that I worked in a dusty and grubby environment and had a protector fitted because I couldn't ensure that my hands were grit-free when using the handset.

Don't carry it in a pocket next to coins, keys etc either, btw.

Upvote 0
If you put it in your pocket with coins and keys and you do not have a case that covers the screen, I suggest you get one. If you have a case that covers the screen, then you probably won't need it because when the screen is exposed, it would be in your hands.

You just need to decide if you want clear or matted. Matted is better for finger prints, but lose out on the screen since its not crystal clear.

Upvote 0
I suggest getting at least 1, but preferably 2 or 3, scratches on your screen ASAP!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Then have a little cry and a cup of tea and revel in the fact that everything still works perfectly, the world continues to turn, and your phone is now just that little bit less "precious"... so you can enjoy it's myriad of functions safe in the knowledge that it's no longer a virgin (even if there is a Virgin sim in it;)) and a few more scuffs and scrapes will only add character and make it even more "you".

And the icing on the cake? The fact that a brand new display/touch screen digitizer doesn't currently cost an arm and a leg, will only become even cheaper as the weeks and months go by, and doesn't require an enormous amount of skill to replace, tutorials are freely available on t'internet right about now...

Enjoy!! :)

Reactions: Stormlight
Upvote 0
If this helps, one of my friends has s2 and managed to scratch the screen :( he was very confident of the gorilla screen, but now regrets not havin the protector on.

Now Statements like this scare the shit out of me. Almost all the other Posters on this thread tried explaining me, with my kind of usage and in general if someone is not a very rough user there is a very minimal chance of scratching the Gorilla screen but frankly one off case like these makes me worry !! :eek: Am I again getting confused again :(

Upvote 0
I suggest getting at least 1, but preferably 2 or 3, scratches on your screen ASAP!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Then have a little cry and a cup of tea and revel in the fact that everything still works perfectly, the world continues to turn, and your phone is now just that little bit less "precious"... so you can enjoy it's myriad of functions safe in the knowledge that it's no longer a virgin (even if there is a Virgin sim in it;)) and a few more scuffs and scrapes will only add character and make it even more "you".

And the icing on the cake? The fact that a brand new display/touch screen digitizer doesn't currently cost an arm and a leg, will only become even cheaper as the weeks and months go by, and doesn't require an enormous amount of skill to replace, tutorials are freely available on t'internet right about now...

Enjoy!! :)

"IGNORED" :mad:

BUZZ OFF....

Upvote 0
If this helps, one of my friends has s2 and managed to scratch the screen :( he was very confident of the gorilla screen, but now regrets not havin the protector on.

Now Statements like this scare the shit out of me. Almost all the other Posters on this thread tried explaining me, with my kind of usage and in general if someone is not a very rough user there is a very minimal chance of scratching the Gorilla screen but frankly one off case like these makes me worry !! :eek: Am I again getting confused again :(

Upvote 0
Seriously, its just scratch resistant, not scratch proof. You put any sharp tools and apply pressure to scratch it, I am sure it would be scratched. Imagine putting your keys and the phone in your pocket.

I have spectacles that are scratch-resistant and after 2 years of usage, you can see a bit of scratches (if you look really really closely). You go out, drop it a bit, wipe it clean but you might have sand particles on the cloth. Anything can happen, so I guess it might be safer just to have a screen protector.

That said, its just scratches that in normal use probably won't be very noticeable. I can still see through my specs great. Its just that when you look at a shiny new phone, you just want to keep it that way as long as you can.

That said, I suggest you get a clear screen even if it smudges more easily. I got a matted one and it dulls my screen compared to when it didn't have a screen protector.

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones