• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is D3 development pretty much behind us?

crackface

Jan 18, 2010
I don't see much in the way of D3 develoment these days. The kexec build from hascode has no working camera which is a feature I use a bit. Are people using that and just getting away with 3rd party app? New Steel Droid? I'm using Eclipse 3.0, and have a few minor issues with it including some GPS issues I gotta see if exist on another rom. Would love to go ICS or JB but not have a slew of issues. Is this near possible now, or expected in the near future?

I have an upgrade coming in March and might be able to switch if there's not much else for this phone.

Thx in advance for any advice....

I know that Hashcode is still working on kexec ROMs, particularly for the higher-level Moto OMAP phones (Razrs, Bionic, D4), and I trust that he will include the D3 with that as well. I don't know this to be true, and it may take until the time I am upgraded to a new device (sometime this summer for me), but I know that Hashcode is still at it and it doesn't appear that he is giving up.

In the meantime, my favorite custom ROM for the Droid 3 is relatively new and continues to be developed - Minimoto. It's a light, stock Gingerbread-based ROM that strips out a lot of the Blur junk but still leaves all critical functionality, with the added benefit (in my experience) of better battery life.

Minimoto: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1978304

Reactions: crackface
Upvote 0
Oh, one more ROM. Very much like Gingerbread stock, but this is an Android 2.3.6 stock for the Milestone 3 (the non-US Droid 3) that has none of the Verizon bloatware and some minor differences, including a cooler lockscreen:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2106722

There are versions for Clockwork Mod Recovery, Safestrap, and a deodexed (themable) Safestrap ready version in the first post.

Yeah, it's not much, but it's nice to be debloated, anyway...

Also, it works fine as a Verizon phone.

Upvote 0
I don't think development is done, but I wouldn't expect anything too ground-breaking. This phone is 18 months old and it wasn't on the scene all that long before the Droid 4 eclipsed it. The 512MB of RAM also really hurts.

That said, I'll also put in a good word for Minimoto and keeping an eye on the work hashcode is doing. Every time I get over to XDA, he has improved Safestrap, and the ability to have multiple ROM slots and a safe system is amazing compared to where we were just a year ago.

I was on Liberty until development on that died (although it is still a very stable ROM), and I was never really satisfied with any of the flavors of SteelDroid and Maverick. Minimoto is smooth, great battery life, and gives you a nice clean slate to start from.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback! I've been using Minimoto for about a week and a half, and I love it. The battery life is significantly better than the previous ROM I was using! I also noticed that so far some GPS issues I was having with old ROM no longer exist. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is wifi tethering, as the wifi tether app from playstore doesn't work on this ROM (I get Verizon page when browsing web on laptop).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones