• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is K-9 email the best it gets on android?

I assume this "K-9" app is for getting your POP3 accounts? If so, I think I'll try it out...

The stock app (HTC Eris) does get my work e-mail all right, but I notice that the "leave messages on server" seems to not work right. If I collect my mail, I can't get it again at home to archive it.

Every day I learn something new here. :p

Upvote 0
The gmail app that comes with the phone works flawlessly. It's a little short on options, but works well for what I need...

The issue I have with the gmail app is the fact that not all links are click-able. I've gotten email notifications from these forums only to open the email and find that the link to an Android Forums thread I'm watching is non click-able. This doesn't happen with every link just longer links,...I guess. I'm actually not sure why it happens but it's not fun. I switched over from iOS to Android and to be honest I was really shocked at the lack of pizazz and build quality of the gmail app....being Google the gmail app should be one of the most complete and functioning apps in the Android Market. Don't get me wrong,..I love the EVO and Android but the gmail app could use a litte TLC on Google's part. :)

Upvote 0
Well, I decided to try BOTH K-9 and MailDroid... I've discovered that there are things about each of these that I like, and DESPISE. Since I may be doing something wrong, hopefully someone can make me LOVE one of them...

First, MailDroid. It let me set up Gmail, my work POP3, Yahoo, and Hotmail. They all seem to work. Best of all, it seemed to seamlessly sync with Gmail. That is, if I deleted a message on my phone, I could make it go to "Trash" on the server. If I sent a message, I could make it copy to "Sent" on the server. It just plain works.

BUT... the interface is spartan and clunky, and takes FOREVER to load and sync. If an e-mail has photos in it, forget it. It sits there for sometimes minutes, even if the message and data inside it are small.

So... K-9 (which is the one I want to love). I also was able to connect to all my accounts, and I like the interface. Also seems to poll and load each account's messages faster and more efficiently.

BUT... it seems to have a hate/hate relationship with Gmail. First off, it seems to add labels or extra "IMAP" folders on Gmail, which MailDroid doesn't do. When I delete a message in K-9, Gmail doesn't seem to respond in any way. Read messages aren't even marked as read. I've even loaded the advanced IMAP "lab" thing for Gmail, which should let me move deleted messages to the "Trash". It doesn't work.

So... has anyone managed to tame K-9 to work with Gmail? All I want is the seamlessness I see in either the stock Gmail app, or MailDroid. No extra folders. If I read something, mark it read. If I send something, copy to "Sent". If I delete something, move it to "Trash". That's all I ask.

If I can solve those issues (with your help of course :D) then K-9 is definitely the winner.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't have my Incredible anymore (waiting on the X), but if I remember, there's a spot in the incoming mail settings in K9 where you set your sent/drafts/trash folders and then K9 won't create those extra labels you talk about.

I did have the issue where messages read on the PC didn't get marked as read in K9 though. If you just refresh the inbox they do. Wasn't that big of a deal for me.

Otherwise, I had no major issues with K9 and gmail

Reactions: homerpez
Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't have my Incredible anymore (waiting on the X), but if I remember, there's a spot in the incoming mail settings in K9 where you set your sent/drafts/trash folders and then K9 won't create those extra labels you talk about.

I did have the issue where messages read on the PC didn't get marked as read in K9 though. If you just refresh the inbox they do. Wasn't that big of a deal for me.

Bingo! Thanks... it seems that when I mapped the directories in the "Incoming" settings, this makes Gmail act like I think it should. :)

With that, I think I can safely turn my back on MailDroid (as well as the stock app). K-9 is it.

Upvote 0

Been using K9 for a while and amd gairly happy with it - the integrated inbox for all my accounts especially. I also have the extra IMAP folders though - more an annoyance than anything but I can;t find the option to turn them off as you describe above.

Any thoughts from anyone?

EDIT : found it.....had to scroll down when in the incoming server setting screen

Upvote 0
So far i like the app, but I have my gmail and university accounts setup. I like to keep them separate. I've noticed that when I try to send an email, I cant specify an email account to send from. Am I just miasing sonething or can you only send from the default account? Thanks.

Go to the account to which you wish to send (from the Accounts window), then Menu->Compose will send from that account. If you do a Menu->Compose from the Accounts window, K-9 will send using the default account.

Reactions: link00seven
Upvote 0
any way of making k-9 notify me that i have an email even when the phones is on standby..usually the gmail app would wake the phone up when i got an email but k-9 doesnt do that and only syncs when i wake the phone up

K-9 notifies me when my phone is on standby - get the email sound, the led flash as well as the notification in the bar when I switch it on. It doesn't wake the phone up though - does the standard gmail up do that?

Upvote 0
K-9 notifies me when my phone is on standby - get the email sound, the led flash as well as the notification in the bar when I switch it on. It doesn't wake the phone up though - does the standard gmail up do that?

wierd i just sent another test email from my hotmail account..didnt wake the phone up but it did notify me without me having to check for emails manually..didnt do that the last time before i made my previous post..

sucks that hotmail doesnt have push email and i cant forward the messages to my gmail account either only allows for other windows email addresses

Upvote 0
So far i like the app, but I have my gmail and university accounts setup. I like to keep them separate. I've noticed that when I try to send an email, I cant specify an email account to send from. Am I just miasing sonething or can you only send from the default account? Thanks.

Open the folder of the account you want to compose from and hit menu>compose.

or

set up "identities" to be able to send from within any account

Upvote 0

Been using K9 for a while and amd gairly happy with it - the integrated inbox for all my accounts especially. I also have the extra IMAP folders though - more an annoyance than anything but I can;t find the option to turn them off as you describe above.

Any thoughts from anyone?

EDIT : found it.....had to scroll down when in the incoming server setting screen

Guys, call me stupid by all means but I can seem to find the option to get rid of the IMAP folders for my Gmail account within K-9.

Any help would appreciated :D

Upvote 0
The way I know of to get rid of extra IMAP folders from Gmail (particularly the infamous "All" folder) is in gmail settings: Settings (upper right) -> Labs -> turn on Advanced IMAP controls. Then Settings->Labels -> "show in IMAP" checkbox. Gmail "labels" are presented as "folders" (which is too bad because it means it's not transparent to IMAP keywords).

Upvote 0
Go to the account to which you wish to send (from the Accounts window), then Menu->Compose will send from that account. If you do a Menu->Compose from the Accounts window, K-9 will send using the default account.

Open the folder of the account you want to compose from and hit menu>compose.

or

set up "identities" to be able to send from within any accoun

So in other words, if I'm in the app and i'm viewing my university email inbox and go to compose, it'll send using that account (it's SMTP server). If I'm looking at Gmail, same thing? I assume that would mean if I'm in the "people" app (aka Contacts) and select "send an email" and open it with K-9 it'll send via default? I just wish it was easy to change on the fly - like a drop down menu right above the "to" field.

And the identities thing - only issue there is I can specify a "from" (by typing it in) but it doesn't let me select the email account to send from (i.e. the SMTP server) - so with that is it always sending from the default despite modifying the "from" field?

Upvote 0
So in other words, if I'm in the app and i'm viewing my university email inbox and go to compose, it'll send using that account (it's SMTP server). If I'm looking at Gmail, same thing? I assume that would mean if I'm in the "people" app (aka Contacts) and select "send an email" and open it with K-9 it'll send via default? I just wish it was easy to change on the fly - like a drop down menu right above the "to" field.

Yes, I believe this is how it works. You can always use identities...see below:

And the identities thing - only issue there is I can specify a "from" (by typing it in) but it doesn't let me select the email account to send from (i.e. the SMTP server) - so with that is it always sending from the default despite modifying the "from" field?

The identity lets you set the reply address as well as the name. I'm pretty sure it sends from the account you are in, or the default account if you Compose from the Accounts page (how could it know how to send from another account?), but it looks like it came from the account in the identity. This might be good enough for you, but maybe not.

jd

Upvote 0
You ought too try the email client called SEVEN. There are several steps you need to take to get it because its not available on the market, but its worth it.

After you sign up, they will send you an email you have to respond to. When choosing model, choose "other" then "android".

SEVEN Beta Program :: Welcome to SEVEN Beta Program

Here is the link to download it directly, but not sure if it will work if you bypass the login crap: http://preview.seven.com/get/client/selectVendor.do?vendor=@other@&brand=def_seven&posted=true

The file is called Z7.apk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones