• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is my Pixel 2 XL Verizon or Unlocked?

danielkhoover

Feb 9, 2018
Purchased a new supposedly Google unlocked phone from a seller on eBay and i asked questions before I purchased it.
Got the phone today and popped in my prepaid Verizon SIM card and I did notice a quick popup saying something about non Verizon Google pixel XL phone?
Odd thing is after updating the phone I had three Verizon apps in my app drawer. My Verizon, Messages+ and go90.
Did I end up with a Verizon version of the Pixel 2 XL?

Thanks

Those Verizon apps are actually included as tiny stub packages on all Pixels - I imagine as a part of Google's partnership with the carrier. They are completely inert, inactive, and unusable unless/until you insert a Verizon SIM, at which point the stubs tell the Play Store to install the full apps ASAP. The stubs are necessary so that they can be treated as system apps.

The easiest way to know for sure which variant you have is to go into Developer Options and see if you can toggle the "Allow OEM Unlocking" option. If you can't, it's a Verizon phone.

Upvote 0
Those Verizon apps are actually included as tiny stub packages on all Pixels - I imagine as a part of Google's partnership with the carrier. They are completely inert, inactive, and unusable unless/until you insert a Verizon SIM, at which point the stubs tell the Play Store to install the full apps ASAP. The stubs are necessary so that they can be treated as system apps.

The easiest way to know for sure which variant you have is to go into Developer Options and see if you can toggle the 'Allow OEM Unlocking' option. If you can't, it's a Verizon phone.

Well I was prompted to type my pin and warned about things being turned off. Tapped cancel so I guess it's the Google unlocked version.
Thanks for the information.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
The Play Store 'names' your devices by what carrier they're used on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180210-205606.png
    Screenshot_20180210-205606.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 904
Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones