• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is my Samsung Micro USB to HDMI adapter compatible with newer devices?

I have a Micro USB to HDMI adapter that came with my Samsung Infuse 4G (An off-version of the Galaxy S2). I recently attempted to plug it into my Nexus 9, but there was no response at all. When I plug the adapter into the tablet and plug the power cable into the adapter, the Nexus 9 charges, but when I plug the HDMI cable in there is no response. Is it not compatible with other devices? The only markings on the adapter are the Samsung Logo, the HDMI Logo, and the MHL Logo. There's no serial number or other identifying information to find the specific adapter's specs online, and the box is long gone.

Any information on how to get the adapter to work would be nice. If the solution is excessively complicated, I think I might be better off getting another adapter.

Last edited:
MHL adapters come in 2 flavours: 5 pin and 11 pin (both microusb, very hard to tell apart by looking). Samsung use the 11 pin version, but nobody else does that I know of, and I know from experience that the ones advertised as Samsung compatible don't work with other brands (though I did use a 5 pin one with my Samsung tablet the other week without thinking and it worked - I can't guarantee that I wasn't just lucky there!).

So most likely is that you need a different adapter.

Reactions: TurboPotato
Upvote 0
I can't provide a comprehensive answer. I needed one for my Samsung tablet, and was warned by a colleague to check compatibility. I therefore bought one that was labelled as compatible with Samsung devices (this was for connecting to VGA rather than hdmi, but I think it's similar). I later needed one for another device, and the one I had didn't work. So knowing that there were different types I found out what they were, but didn't go further since what I urgently needed was just something that would work with a non-Samsung device, so I just bought a 5 pin MHL connector (micro USB to hdmi) and used it.

However, a couple of weeks ago I did use my tablet in a theatre that had a HDMI connection, and the 5 pin connector worked with my tablet. The reason I hesitate to infer from this that they would work generally with Samsung is simply that if so why would anyone bother selling 11 pin ones that only worked with one manufacturer? But if you already have an 11 pin then yes, that will work with newer Samsung. From my experience a 5 pin may work with a Samsung, but I bought mine for a HTC (who, incidentally, made the Nexus 9). Most online sellers say something about the compatibility anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones