1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is root blocking my Gingerbread update?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by iploya, Sep 5, 2011.

1. iploya

iploya Android Enthusiast

I previously rooted my Incredible using Unrevoked and the instructions provided in this forum. I have *not* installed any ROMs nor attempted to remove any bloatware.

Now that Gingerbread is trickling out OTA, I have received TWO (2) system alerts that my phone is ready for updating, and prompting me to restart. However, when I clicked OK this second time, NOTHING happened. The phone did not reboot, and I am on the same build, etc. The status claims everything is up to date.

Could root be blocking the update?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

Your custom recovery blocks the update from installing, thereby preserving your root access.

There are rooted versions of the ota over at xda for installation.

3. iploya

Thanks. If I follow the instructions to return the phone to stock, will that fix the problem? I'm willing to give up root for now so that I can receive the update.

4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

There is no reason to return to stock ( rooting gingerbread on the incredible may never be achieved)

Just install the ota from XDA.

euph_22 and Crashumbc like this.
  5. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

It's simpler, easier, and safer to update this way. Plus you keep root.

iowabowtech likes this.
  6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

+1 to the above posts.

7. hugobarb

hugobarb Newbie

is there a link to the OTA from XDA? What are the steps to install this. I am rooted with Unrevoked 3 on stock 2.2 rom.

8. iploya

Thanks - will you please post a link?

I searched XDA OTA Gingerbread Incredible and found some relevant hits, but I'm not confident I found the specific resource you are referring to.

9. danielzink

danielzink Newbie

ugh...okay - complete FNG here....have mercy on me...

I'm rooted. Have both Titanium Backup and ROM manager installed.

So I download either of the above files- rename as "update.zip" on the root of my SD card:

do an HBOOT
    recovery
    wipe data
    wipe cache
    advanced - wipe dalvik

then install the zip file ?

Have I got it right ?

Thanks, Dan

10. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

You don't need to rename the file, as long as you know where to find it. But yeah, that looks right.

11. iowabowtech

I don't rename either. Instead, choose option to install zip from sd card, then choose zip. Locate and flash, name doesn't matter this way.

12. danielzink

danielzink Newbie

But I still need to do all the wipes 'eh ?

13. iowabowtech

Yes. Only time you may not wipe is if you're already on a rom and theres a minor update that doesn't require one. Most devs will recommend the appropriate action based on the changes they made.

14. danielzink

danielzink Newbie

Thanks for your patience.

Got it installed. Just in the process now of re-installing all apps.

Thanks !

15. iowabowtech

Cool. Welcome to the fun. And don't be afraid to ask questions around here, we enjoy messing with these phones and helping others to do the same.

iploya likes this.
  16. iploya

Wow! Somehow I found my way thru the process. Also in the process of re-installing apps. Thanks!

iowabowtech likes this.
  17. danielzink

danielzink Newbie

##778 disabled in GB ? doesn't seem to do anything......

18. hugobarb

hugobarb Newbie

Rather noob myself and ready to jump to 2.3 but want to get it right. Rather then use HBoot can't I follow the following steps. I am currently Rooted with Unrevoked 3, 2.2 using TIBackup

1) Download the new stock OTA from [ROM][9/3/11] Stock OTA 4.06.605.3 (2.3.4) + GPS Nag Removal Script - xda-developers.
    2) Install Rom Manager from the market
    3) Open it and choose to install Clockworkmod Recovery
    4) Choose to backup current rom, give it superuser rights and let it back up and reboot.
    4) Open Rom Manager again, choose "Install ROM from SD Card" and browse to the OTA zip file.
    5) Just leave the "wipe Dalvik Cache" box checked and click ok

I have another question when installing the Location NAG Removal do you run that like an app apk or do you install that like a rom?

Appreciate the help.

19. danielzink

danielzink Newbie

20. iowabowtech

Uncheck the fastboot option at menu, settings, power. Then it will work.

danielzink likes this.
  21. danielzink

danielzink Newbie

ugh !

There is no "power" selection in there !

22. danielzink

danielzink Newbie

applications. got it.

23. iowabowtech

Cool, yeah my Rom is based on the same OS but i guess the options are slightly different. When in fastboot, the phone doesn't fully shut down which is a requirement to access hboot.

24. afastyzfr1

afastyzfr1 Member

I flashed 2.3.4 from the link above and when phone restarts I get a GPS warning and I click for it to not come back but it does. Any help?

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews