• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is root blocking my Gingerbread update?

iploya

Android Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2010
I previously rooted my Incredible using Unrevoked and the instructions provided in this forum. I have *not* installed any ROMs nor attempted to remove any bloatware.

Now that Gingerbread is trickling out OTA, I have received TWO (2) system alerts that my phone is ready for updating, and prompting me to restart. However, when I clicked OK this second time, NOTHING happened. The phone did not reboot, and I am on the same build, etc. The status claims everything is up to date.

Could root be blocking the update?

Thanks. If I follow the instructions to return the phone to stock, will that fix the problem? I'm willing to give up root for now so that I can receive the update.

There is no reason to return to stock ( rooting gingerbread on the incredible may never be achieved)

Just install the ota from XDA.

Upvote 0

ugh...okay - complete FNG here....have mercy on me...

I'm rooted. Have both Titanium Backup and ROM manager installed.

So I download either of the above files- rename as "update.zip" on the root of my SD card:

do an HBOOT
recovery
wipe data
wipe cache
advanced - wipe dalvik

then install the zip file ?

Have I got it right ?

Thanks, Dan

Upvote 0
ugh...okay - complete FNG here....have mercy on me...

I'm rooted. Have both Titanium Backup and ROM manager installed.

So I download either of the above files- rename as "update.zip" on the root of my SD card:

do an HBOOT
recovery
wipe data
wipe cache
advanced - wipe dalvik

then install the zip file ?

Have I got it right ?

Thanks, Dan

You don't need to rename the file, as long as you know where to find it. But yeah, that looks right.

Upvote 0
Rather noob myself and ready to jump to 2.3 but want to get it right. Rather then use HBoot can't I follow the following steps. I am currently Rooted with Unrevoked 3, 2.2 using TIBackup

1) Download the new stock OTA from [ROM][9/3/11] Stock OTA 4.06.605.3 (2.3.4) + GPS Nag Removal Script - xda-developers.
2) Install Rom Manager from the market
3) Open it and choose to install Clockworkmod Recovery
4) Choose to backup current rom, give it superuser rights and let it back up and reboot.
4) Open Rom Manager again, choose "Install ROM from SD Card" and browse to the OTA zip file.
5) Just leave the "wipe Dalvik Cache" box checked and click ok

I have another question when installing the Location NAG Removal do you run that like an app apk or do you install that like a rom?

Appreciate the help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones