• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the backflip a realistic phone?

backflips

Lurker
Aug 30, 2011
Hi,
I use a blackberry, but a good friend of mine is shopping a new phone, she had a samsung inspire ? or instict.. I dont remember.. phone broke.. she got a samsung s5620 but was very unhappy.. now I really like my friend but she's making me nuts! she says now maybe a mb300 backflip? it looks cool but how realistic is this phone ? and going from a touchscreen only to a flip with qwerty would work?

2nd, has anyone dealt with buying a used one ? cheapest i found was here (damn cant add a link)

no issue buying open box?

I joked that i'll get her the phone if she does a backflip for me lol :eek:

Thanks for any advice!!

I sold away my backflip. It had 2x hardware repairs in less than a year.
It is so slow that I often hit the wrong buttons.
In Asia, it's stuck in the stone age of Android 1.5 with no chance of upgrade in the foreseeable future.

Now I got myself a Samsung Galaxy Gio and a Ace. Both are excellent fast phones.
Easily upgradeable to from 2.2 to 2.3.

I think the other problem with backflip is the motoblur.

Upvote 0
I went from a Backflip to the Atrix. Although I loved the Backflip, as it was my first android phone, I quickly grew out of it. You are limited to how many apps you down load, since it only has like around 250 MB of app space available. It has a slower processor. I upgraded mine to android 2.1, which worked well for the most part. I gave mine to my oldest son as his first android phone. I would say, if you are a person not into heavy gaming and a light user. It should work. If your the type of person that plays a lot of games, view/create/edit documents and social networking. Go with a higher end phone. I noticed that when doing a lot of multitasking: streaming music, texting, e-mail, etc. the phone would slow up and I would have to wait for it. The quarty keyboard and on screen keyboard worked just fine. one of the things that I like about the Backflip was it has its own stand, the keyboard, that activates desktop mode. With my Atrix, I have to have a dock to use this feature.

Upvote 0
Backflip is an excellent low end Android, I had a 16 gig micro SD card so had no storage problems. At a 580 mzh processor, it is not for gaming. Android 2.1 worked good and motor blur was not a problem. Motor Blur really helps to keep you in the social loop.
Rooted it to Android 2.3.5 and then to 2.3.7, it was faster but only benched marked at 408. A Good entry Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones