• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Droid X the actual start to a "New Generation"?

What do you consider the definition of a "generation"? Is it based on hardware and/or software? Is it based on changing the way we use a phone? Is it based on new technology? Personally, I would say the Evo was the beginning of a new generation, as it was 1) the first 4g capable phone to the market and 2) the first phone to incorporate a front facing camera that allowed for video chat. It was a game changer, something that many other manufacturer's will try to emulate in the future.

The Droid X is a great phone, but even if it WERE the first phone to market with Froyo on it stock, I wouldn't say it was a new generation. One could argue that the addition of a full Flash experience (not lite or SkyfirE) may usher in a new generation, but I don't consider it to be so. The same goes for the first phone with 1.5 GHz, etc. These are merely speed improvements upon existing phones, nothing radically different. When we see a dual core processor, I would consider that a new generation, as it's something that will soon be adopted as the standard.

Upvote 0
I agree with blazin247 that the EVO was the start of "what's next" - big screen acceptance. Once I got used to the EVO, I can't go smaller again (and I had an Inc and my EVO together for two weeks). The Droid X certainly is in the ballpark, but leaving the front facing camera off lags it a bit - even though it is fast. Folks like them some of that video chatting stuff for some reason and Moto should have seen that coming. Can't fault Moto for the 4G thing since they have apparently put all of their marbles in the Verizon bag. Moto has to be a little mad that Verizon still brings in the HTC models - so why doesn't Moto go to Sprint??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones