• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is the Froyo 2.2 update NOT meant to run on 2.1?

I'm confused. I THINK somebody posted that the uprade which most of us have been sent, and many of us have been suffering from (constant spontaneous reboots, app launches, home screen acts drunk, battery issues, overheating, screen lag, total lockup which requires battery-pulling - yeah, I got all of that) is NOT the new OS version Android 2.2, but an update for the same OS, which just got installed over 2.1, thus causing my misery. If that's the case, it's hard to defend Android 2.2 not being sent out first (maybe it was - I got an earlier email this month (the last one was 2 days ago) which failed to install, and like the message this week, was deleted as soon as I read it the first time - grrrrr!). If this is what happened, then how do I go about installing the full version (beginning with "where can I get it"), and how do I safely go about installing it without losing my apps?

I'm confused. I THINK somebody posted that the uprade which most of us have been sentis NOT the new OS version Android 2.2, but an update for the same OS, which just got installed over 2.1, thus causing my misery.

Where in the world did you read this :thinking:

No, that is not correct. The update that you received is the actual 2.2 OS.

If you received it via OTA, then it upgraded your phone. It writes itself over top of your current OS (2.1).

This is similar to doing just an upgrade on Window's and not a full clean install. That is why most of the problems are occurring. It is ALWAYS better to do a fresh clean install and not just an upgrade.

So why doesn't Verizon send it out that way? Simple. It would piss too many people off. It's doesn't take much reading on this board (or any other) to realize that people HATE to have their phone wiped. Even though it's best and eliminates 95% of the problems, people would rather take their chances and then complain later when it doesn't work. So they send out the OTA which upgrades the phone's OS and then IFit causes problems (it doesn't for many people) then they suggest a factory reset.

I just saved myself the trouble and installed the RUU, which wipes the phone first and THEN installs the new OS. Haven't had a single problem.

Upvote 0
Where in the world did you read this :thinking:

No, that is not correct. The update that you received is the actual 2.2 OS.

If you received it via OTA, then it upgraded your phone. It writes itself over top of your current OS (2.1).

This is similar to doing just an upgrade on Window's and not a full clean install. That is why most of the problems are occurring. It is ALWAYS better to do a fresh clean install and not just an upgrade.

So why doesn't Verizon send it out that way? Simple. It would piss too many people off. It's doesn't take much reading on this board (or any other) to realize that people HATE to have their phone wiped. Even though it's best and eliminates 95% of the problems, people would rather take their chances and then complain later when it doesn't work. So they send out the OTA which upgrades the phone's OS and then IFit causes problems (it doesn't for many people) then they suggest a factory reset.

I just saved myself the trouble and installed the RUU, which wipes the phone first and THEN installs the new OS. Haven't had a single problem.

Thank you for clearing it up on whether this was meant to be the full 2.2 version. Unfortunately, after 2 message announcements and unbelievable problems since the last of them, I still aren't sure that I have 2.2 on my Inc!

I realize my rushed wording may have been a little confusing, so I will try and be clear on why I am confused. The first message was received maybe a week or two ago (they get erased before you get the chance to read them again), and since the last one (today, actually) I have checked under System>About phone>Software information>Firmware information, and all I see there is 2.1-update1! Is this normal?

Anyway, the problems mentioned are now making my phone unreliable, if not unuseable, and a serious pia when I'm forced to pull the battery just to deal with it locking up (happened twice today, I think it's getting worse) - therefore I just may have to do the factory reset which you and others have mentioned. And if I do that, will Froyo 2.2 be automatically downloaded (I'm still trying to wrap my head around the differences with PCs, so I need convincing when they say it's that easy). But before I do that, I need to know how Backup Assistant works (does it backup everything, including apps as well as contacts between the default-set 6am to 12pm, or contacts only? Will I need to retrieve and restore my backups manually? If so, where can I go for that?

Upvote 0
I have checked under System>About phone>Software information>Firmware information, and all I see there is 2.1-update1! Is this normal?

You don't have Froyo. And a factory reset will not give you Froyo unless something in your system is borked not allowing the OTA to come through. Then I guess it's possible. You haven't dabbled in rooting previously have you?

Upvote 0
I realize my rushed wording may have been a little confusing, so I will try and be clear on why I am confused. The first message was received maybe a week or two ago (they get erased before you get the chance to read them again), and since the last one...

What "messages" are you referring to? Do you mean the phone notifications telling you that there is an update available to download? Or are you talking about some other message (there was a text that started randomly going out a day or two ago...)

If you are talking about the notifications about installing a download, what happens when you open the message. They should not disappear until you actually clear them out, so I don't understand what you mean by "they get erased before you can read them".

I have checked under System>About phone>Software information>Firmware information, and all I see there is 2.1-update1! Is this normal?

No, you do not have 2.2 on your phone. If it says you have 2.1, then that's what you have.

Anyway, the problems mentioned are now making my phone unreliable, if not unuseable, and a serious pia when I'm forced to pull the battery just to deal with it locking up (happened twice today, I think it's getting worse) - therefore I just may have to do the factory reset which you and others have mentioned. And if I do that, will Froyo 2.2 be automatically downloaded (I'm still trying to wrap my head around the differences with PCs, so I need convincing when they say it's that easy). But before I do that, I need to know how Backup Assistant works (does it backup everything, including apps as well as contacts between the default-set 6am to 12pm, or contacts only? Will I need to retrieve and restore my backups manually? If so, where can I go for that?

You really need to do a factory reset because something isn't right. Clearly you have already tried the battery pull thing and it didn't work. You should do one before updating OS's anyway.

Backup Assistant is ONLY for contacts, it wont' back up anything else. When you factory reset your phone, it will be as if you just bought it, nothing personal on it. You will have to go through set up and everything.

You can use an app called AppBrain to sync all your apps and back them up online. You can use SMSBackup to save all your texts if you want those. Sense UI has an option to save your scene's (as do most home screen replacements if you are using those instead of sense).

But unless you are rooted, there's no way to do a full backup of everything. So you will need to reinstall everything and set up everything again. AppBrain will save you a lot of trouble with getting your app's back, but depending on how much you customized it could take a while to get back to that point.

Reactions: ashorty
Upvote 0
OR...

If you want to make life really simple, just install the RUU of 2.2 yourself. This is the official RUU, it's the same thing that you get OTA from Verizon.

http://androidforums.com/htc-incred...mplest-instructions-ever-windows-xp-only.html

This WILL wipe the phone before installing 2.2. So you will still need to make sure you back up whatever you want before you do it. This shouldn't mess with your SD card, but I always make a copy of it just in case. And don't forgot to get anything off your internal memory that you might want (like pictures, video's, music, etc).

Upvote 0
What "messages" are you referring to? Do you mean the phone notifications telling you that there is an update available to download? Or are you talking about some other message (there was a text that started randomly going out a day or two ago...)
If you are talking about the notifications about installing a download, what happens when you open the message. They should not disappear until you actually clear them out, so I don't understand what you mean by "they get erased before you can read them".
I wouldn't know for sure, being new to both smart phones and texting. I thought it was a phone notification, but then incoming texts from a friend of mine are listing under "notifications". Anyway, it did not say that the update was available for downloading, but that it had been sent! Then, without my doing anything other than closing the shade to go check my settings, it was gone when I came back! Considering just how many other strange things have happened since then, it's almost not surprising, so if I don't actually have Froyo, then I do have something which isn't good.

No, you do not have 2.2 on your phone. If it says you have 2.1, then that's what you have.

Guess I don't, so what can it be then?

You really need to do a factory reset because something isn't right. Clearly you have already tried the battery pull thing and it didn't work. You should do one before updating OS's anyway.

Backup Assistant is ONLY for contacts, it wont' back up anything else. When you factory reset your phone, it will be as if you just bought it, nothing personal on it. You will have to go through set up and everything.
I have not seen any recovery/restore program for Backup Assistant anyway, only the listing under Settings. Where do I need to go and log in to restore my contacts?

You can use an app called AppBrain to sync all your apps and back them up online. You can use SMSBackup to save all your texts if you want those. Sense UI has an option to save your scene's (as do most home screen replacements if you are using those instead of sense).

I have used the AppBrain site to find apps - so I should go to AppBrain, and do a search for AppBrain? I'll give it a shot.

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions, but I just wasn't ready for anything so crazy as everything which I listed to be happening. I've really been thrashing as I search for info on Android Backup Assistant, and every thread seems to presume you already know how to use Google's online backup system, and what to expect from it. Not me, the only backups I ever made were to hard media, which I (and only I) can wrap my hands around. So I need to know where to recover backup contacts data (presuming I cannot just back it up to my PC from an un-rooted phone, but I'll go look for those two apps now.

Thanks!

But unless you are rooted, there's no way to do a full backup of everything. So you will need to reinstall everything and set up everything again. AppBrain will save you a lot of trouble with getting your app's back, but depending on how much you customized it could take a while to get back to that point.

Upvote 0
Windows XP only? Not Windows 7 or Linux? Guess I'm in trouble then.

OR...

If you want to make life really simple, just install the RUU of 2.2 yourself. This is the official RUU, it's the same thing that you get OTA from Verizon.

http://androidforums.com/htc-incred...mplest-instructions-ever-windows-xp-only.html

This WILL wipe the phone before installing 2.2. So you will still need to make sure you back up whatever you want before you do it. This shouldn't mess with your SD card, but I always make a copy of it just in case. And don't forgot to get anything off your internal memory that you might want (like pictures, video's, music, etc).

Upvote 0

oK, call me a complete goofball, but the "sync" option is right on the Appbrain site home page! Thanks so much for pointing that out!

But I'm still not sure about anything. The "sync" term is new to me as well, which seems to be used more in phone talk than anywhere, and up till now only made me remember some awful boy-band which I'd prefer not to. I'm not quite sure on the distinction between "sync", "connection", and "backup", although I'm sure enough I understand the latter two. I ran the "sync" process, and it took all of about 4 seconds for whatever it did with about 50 or so apps installed from that site - so, does it really have everything it needs to restore all my apps? There were at least as many more from Marketplace, did it get all of them too, or do I need to do the same at that site?

Oh, and what about the Sense UI "scenes" - does that imply anything about apps, or just the icons for them in the Sense UI (which may have taken more of my time than anything else to set up)?

Upvote 0
First off, hit Menu and then Settings on your phone. At the very bottom, click on About Phone. Your first option is System Updates (this is the same area you have been going to see your firmware version). When you click on system updates, does it give you an option to get the 2.2 update? If you have been sent the update via OTA, it should be there.

Windows XP only? Not Windows 7 or Linux? Guess I'm in trouble then.

It can be done in Window's 7, as that is what I used to do it. But the person who wrote that used XP so that's the only thing he could verify.

Lots of people did have problems doing this with Window's 7 though so I am not sure. XP seems to be the only surefire way that works for everyone.

I wouldn't know for sure, being new to both smart phones and texting. I thought it was a phone notification, but then incoming texts from a friend of mine are listing under "notifications".

Text messages are things that show up in your text messaging app (like messages from your friends). Phone Notifications are the things that show up in your status bar on the phone (that black bar at the top that you can pull down on). Notifications are actually FROM your phone, not a person sending you a message. Notifications can be anything, updates, missed calls, emails, etc.

Anyway, it did not say that the update was available for downloading, but that it had been sent! Then, without my doing anything other than closing the shade to go check my settings, it was gone when I came back! Considering just how many other strange things have happened since then, it's almost not surprising, so if I don't actually have Froyo, then I do have something which isn't good.

You should be receiving that every 30 minutes or so. And you indicated that you have received it several times (I assume since you said "it keeps going away"). So I gotta ask... why do you keep closing out of it? When you get the notification, click on it. Don't back out, don't close the shade, just click the message. It will tell you to do something. Read it and do what it says. You have to accept the install and it seems that you keep missing out on that.

Guess I don't, so what can it be then?

What can what be? Since I can't actually see the message I have no idea what it is. Based on what you are saying I assume that your phone is receiving the OTA from Verizon but you keep closing out of it. But without knowing exactly what the message you are getting is, I can't say for sure.

What I do know is that if your phone says you have 2.1 Update 1, then that's what you have. You have not yet installed 2.2. Doesn't mean it wasn't sent, just means that it hasn't been installed.

I have not seen any recovery/restore program for Backup Assistant anyway, only the listing under Settings. Where do I need to go and log in to restore my contacts?

There is no app for it, it's built into the phone. When you go to Menu - Account & Sync, it should be there under manage accounts. When you click on it you will see all the options.

Backup assistant is something that is stored online and you access it through Verizon's website. You will need to log into your account (the place you would go to view/pay your bill) and it's there on that page. You will need to set up a PIN and go through the steps to sync it with your phone.

Honestly... this is one time I would highly recommend you call Verizon's CS and have them walk you through it. I set up my account years ago on a dumb phone and I couldn't even begin to tell you how I did it. I just know I did and it has worked ever since.

I have used the AppBrain site to find apps - so I should go to AppBrain, and do a search for AppBrain? I'll give it a shot.

You need to go to the market and download AppBrain (the app) to your phone. AppBrain uses your google account to work. When you first open the app you will be asked to log in (with your gmail account and password) and from there you can browse and manage your apps. Everything you download is stored on the servers so if you ever need to get to your app's again (after a factory reset or if you accidentally delete one) they are stored in your account.

The "sync" term is new to me as well, which seems to be used more in phone talk than anywhere, and up till now only made me remember some awful boy-band which I'd prefer not to. I'm not quite sure on the distinction between "sync", "connection", and "backup", although I'm sure enough I understand the latter two. I ran the "sync" process, and it took all of about 4 seconds for whatever it did with about 50 or so apps installed from that site - so, does it really have everything it needs to restore all my apps? There were at least as many more from Marketplace, did it get all of them too, or do I need to do the same at that site?

The term sync is actually used all over the place in the electronic world.

The best way to explain it is this: Connection is just connecting two devices together so that they can communicate. Syncing is what happens when they are actually communicating.

AppBrain sync's super fast. I have over 100 apps and it sync's in 4-5 seconds. It is not backing up anything, it is just making a list of the app's that you have on your phone. That list is then saved so that if you need to reinstall them you know where to find them (as opposed to trying to remember everything you had and then going to the market and searching for them all again).

Yes, AppBrain will have everything you got from the market. AppBrain actually functions off of the Android Market.

Oh, and what about the Sense UI "scenes" - does that imply anything about apps, or just the icons for them in the Sense UI (which may have taken more of my time than anything else to set up)?

It will save the Sense UI settings, that is all. It will not save the actual app's. Those will need to be installed again. But your settings, your wallpaper, your widget placement, etc will all be there.

Like I said, the only way to do a true complete backup of your phone is to root the phone. Clearly that is not going to be an option for you at this point. So you are going to have to just bite the bullet :(

I know it seems like a huge pain to have to set everything up again, but honestly it doesn't take that long once you already know where you want everything to be. Today I redid my fiance's phone in under 2 hours. That included a backup of his app's, texts and contacts, then a factory reset, then rooting the phone, then reinstalling all the backed up stuff, resetting up all of his home screens, adding custom wallpapers and icons and docks and doing several system backup's along the way. I even gave him a custom splash screen and boot animation (the things you see while your phone is loading up from a fresh boot).

Upvote 0
First off, hit Menu and then Settings on your phone. At the very bottom, click on About Phone. Your first option is System Updates (this is the same area you have been going to see your firmware version). When you click on system updates, does it give you an option to get the 2.2 update? If you have been sent the update via OTA, it should be there.
Actually, no, and this has really been bugging me out, because I did get the messages which displayed only once (I am not on drugs, and have never been known to hallucinate) at the same time that most others were reporting 2.2 installation, and all hell broke loose for me since I saw that message. It may well be that I picked up some unrelated problem which caused all this from some app I installed. Anyway, my system was getting steadily worse as I wrote this last night. It was getting to be something almost on par with movies like "Poltergeist" or "The Excorcist", as it rebooted several times before I finally was able to get in through the settings menu and make it reset without aborting that process! But I got it done.

I since received a system update message (this was distinctly different from the text messages which I was getting - it's in a black window with grey buttons, not a message displaying in my pull-down notifications shade). I now have Android 2.2 - yaaayyyy! Well, this is through the update, not the clean install which I had attempted last night, but I have to start over with the apps anyway (I did a sync with Appbrain, maybe I'll be able to recover them after re-installing it).

Thank you, many times, for being so helpful!

It can be done in Window's 7, as that is what I used to do it. But the person who wrote that used XP so that's the only thing he could verify.

Lots of people did have problems doing this with Window's 7 though so I am not sure. XP seems to be the only surefire way that works for everyone.
I didn't get far at all with this. The problem I ran into was that the file which he had uploaded to Filedropper was not recognized as an executable, and didn't even display the .exe extension! I didn't see anything about a need to unpack or compile this upload, but is there?

Text messages are things that show up in your text messaging app (like messages from your friends). Phone Notifications are the things that show up in your status bar on the phone (that black bar at the top that you can pull down on). Notifications are actually FROM your phone, not a person sending you a message. Notifications can be anything, updates, missed calls, emails, etc.

Uh, then I guess they were notifications - but they sure weren't notifications with buttons to push, like the system message I just got before 2.2 was finally installed.

You should be receiving that every 30 minutes or so. And you indicated that you have received it several times (I assume since you said "it keeps going away"). So I gotta ask... why do you keep closing out of it? When you get the notification, click on it. Don't back out, don't close the shade, just click the message. It will tell you to do something. Read it and do what it says. You have to accept the install and it seems that you keep missing out on that.

I am telling you I did not delete them, but if that sounds a bit weird to you, there were much weirder things that my phone was doing - what it did to me last night would be pretty good fodder for a dark comedy. But I seem to have control of my phone back now, and I guess it will only get better from here - thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones