• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a better (uh, functional) way of deleting texts?

unwallflower

Jun 1, 2010
I text a lot. Most of the people I keep in touch with live hours away, and while phone calls definitely have their place... most of the time I just like the convenience of texting.

The problem is that Android phones seem to have a difficult time deleting more than a couple hundred or so texts at a time. I experienced this with my Hero... actually ended up getting rid of it after a few months because each time I tried to delete more than 100 texts or so it would freeze, reboot, and then RESEND random old texts to people. A dozen at a time. People were starting to think I was losing my mind, and I ended up getting rid of the phone. (sort of a funny problem now that I look back on it)

At least the Evo hasn't sent random texts to people... yet. It just throws a temper tantrum and completely refuses to delete large threads.

Is there a better way to do this? One that actually works, maybe?

I know that I SHOULD perform routine maintenance and not let the threads get this big. It's just not practical to delete these threads before they reach 100 texts when I send hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of texts a day.

So... help? It's currently going on 20 minutes trying (and failing) to delete a thread of 1,000 texts. I'm dreading deleting the one with over 4,000...

Messages/Menu/Settings/Text message limit. Enter a number (I use 200) and hit Set. A setting of 200 will keep the last 200 mesages per conversation and automatically get rid of the older ones over the 200 limit. It seems to work well on my unrooted EVO running 2.2. Be sure to check the Delete old messages option as well.

Upvote 0
I text a lot. Most of the people I keep in touch with live hours away, and while phone calls definitely have their place... most of the time I just like the convenience of texting.

The problem is that Android phones seem to have a difficult time deleting more than a couple hundred or so texts at a time. I experienced this with my Hero... actually ended up getting rid of it after a few months because each time I tried to delete more than 100 texts or so it would freeze, reboot, and then RESEND random old texts to people. A dozen at a time. People were starting to think I was losing my mind, and I ended up getting rid of the phone. (sort of a funny problem now that I look back on it)

At least the Evo hasn't sent random texts to people... yet. It just throws a temper tantrum and completely refuses to delete large threads.

Is there a better way to do this? One that actually works, maybe?

I know that I SHOULD perform routine maintenance and not let the threads get this big. It's just not practical to delete these threads before they reach 100 texts when I send hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of texts a day.

So... help? It's currently going on 20 minutes trying (and failing) to delete a thread of 1,000 texts. I'm dreading deleting the one with over 4,000...

I am going to give you the same suggestion that we gave other Hero users as well. Use one of the many apps that will delete SMS messages. I use SMS Backup and Restore from the market.

You have to keep the message threads under 500 or it will take much longer to delete.

Upvote 0
Messages/Menu/Settings/Text message limit. Enter a number (I use 200) and hit Set. A setting of 200 will keep the last 200 mesages per conversation and automatically get rid of the older ones over the 200 limit. It seems to work well on my unrooted EVO running 2.2. Be sure to check the Delete old messages option as well.

I didn't know about this. Thanks! After I get rid of these old texts then I'll be sure to go change my settings.

Each 1,000 ish thread is taking about half an hour or a little more to delete. I think I'll do the 4,000 text thread overnight. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones