• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a Root FAQ somewhere?

I'm an Incredible user and interested in learning more about Root so that when it becomes available, I'll know where to do it. On the one hand, I like having full control of my devices (jailbroke my iPhones before switching to Android), but on the other hand I don't want to deal with a bunch of unintended headaches.

Some questions I have:
1) After rooting a phone, does that mean that 2.2 can be installed right away, or do we have to wait for someone to make a version of 2.2 for our particular rooted phone?
2) What kinds of hassles are associated with rooting? Are there things that don't work or become glitchy?
3) Could an OTA update brick a phone because it is rooted?

Is there a generic Root FAQ somewhere? I did a search and browsed some of the device specific Root forums without finding answers.

Thanks!

1. someone needs to make a custom rom

2. very unlikely but possible, some root methods can be tricky

3. Also unlikely, generally OTA's just remove root access if the phone has just been rooted, if a custom rom has been loaded OTA's generally won't install (version mismatch checks)

rooting and loading custom rom's is like adding aftermarket supped up parts to your car. If you read up and pay attention there very little risk. BUT there is some risk there, like with a car you'll void your warranty :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones