• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a way to reset password set by google find my device?

The system isn't designed to let you reset the password easily, because that would also allow a thief to bypass it.

Did you have a password set before it was stolen? I believe it doesn't actually change the password if you have (whatever it says), so in that case your old password should work. Unfortunately that almost certainly means you can't use Android Device Manager to reset the password now.

Older phones will prompt you for your Google account credentials if you enter the wrong password often enough. Some will however do a factory reset in this case, and this won't work with more recent phones.

Of course a factory reset should remove a phone password, so as a last resort you can try that. Make sure you know the username/password of the Google account on the phone though, because all phones released in the last few years will have Factory Reset Protection, and if you reset it without knowing those credentials you can be really locked-out.

Upvote 0
I set password when I was locking it with android device manager (now it is named find my device). Changing it again with same "find my device" does not affect security. Only problem is that this application does not let you set password the next time you lock it. Simply to avoid forcing you to repeat it every time.

I want to look for other options before I use factory reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones