• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there an app that alerts for car chases?

I gotta ask.
Why do you need an app to alert you to police chases?
Are you a lawyer?
Are just an avid lover of watching people get put in harms way by idiots?
I myself can't see the appeal in such an app, but to each there own. That is why I am asking.
Why do you need an Android phone? Why do you use this forum? Why do you use a computer? Oh, personal taste! :)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
You can blame the discoverer of aluminum and a snooty followup for the alternate spellings. From wikipedia:
In 1808, Humphry Davy identified the existence of a metal base of alum, which he at first termed alumium and later aluminum
{...}
Davy settled on aluminum by the time he published his 1812 book Chemical Philosophy: "This substance appears to contain a peculiar metal, but as yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state, though alloys of it with other metalline substances have been procured sufficiently distinct to indicate the probable nature of alumina."[65] But the same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review, a British political-literary journal, in a review of Davy's book, objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium, "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound."[66]

By that reckoning, folks in the US honor the discoverer's word while elsewhere the honor goes to an anonymous person who proposed a more "classical sound". Sounds like straight-up snobbery, guys.

Oh BTW also from wikipedia:
Sir Humphry Davy, 1st Baronet FRS MRIA FGS (17 December 1778

Upvote 0
Lmao. I liked that post other than you saying i think its lazy spelling when i said in another post that im all for the shortening of words :beer::)
And im not brittish, i dont like horses and the words i mentioned dont contain silent letters :p if you think im being snooty then the chip isnt on my shoulder. Im a scotsman and im not known for my spelling or pronounciation :beer:
so, like, in the periodic table, do canada and US use a different spelling from in the UK?
Ps, the romans used aluminum so i wouldnt say it was an english discovery, more that an englishman identified it as an element?
I wonder if "ifttt" could somehow be used to alert you to certain keywords like "car chase" etc used on news channel's web sites?

Reactions: divinebovine
Upvote 0
Indeed. I was the one saying it was lazy to omit letters, and I was saying that the origin of the extra 'i' is snooty, not that you are. The high horse comment...I guess that's in response to the internet as a whole. ;) Honestly I thought there were more folks in here who were on about it than just you. My failure for not paying attention!

According to wikipedia (surely the last bastion of accuracy! ;)): The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990 but, three years later, recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both.

What about a Google News alert?
https://support.google.com/news/answer/40262?hl=en
Enter your SMS email gateway address and the alerts will go directly to your phone. Crafting the search to avoid false positives will require some time and effort.

Let's drink to all of that!
cow-cheers.gif

Upvote 0
amen to that bro lol. Sorry if i sounded nippy, i just dont like being thrown into the "snooty english" stereotype lol. I suppose i have a chip on my shoulder about that. I love my american brothers n sisters :beer:

Hmm ive never even heard of google news alert. Ill have a look at that.
I just remember using the ifttt (if this then that) site to send me an sms whenever my username was used on a forum but tbh someone else programmed it for me lol. I think its fairly simple though :)

Reactions: divinebovine
Upvote 0
so, like, in the periodic table, do canada and US use a different spelling from in the UK?
Ps, the romans used aluminum so i wouldnt say it was an english discovery, more that an englishman identified it as an element?
When I was pre-med in the '80s, the periodic table [here in the US] used aluminum only; there was no alternate spelling with the extra "i".

I wonder if "ifttt" could somehow be used to alert you to certain keywords like "car chase" etc used on news channel's web sites?
Huh? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I wont believe it until i hear Sheldon from big bang theory say it lol :p jk

Check out the ifttt site. I think it works kinda like Tasker but its web based. As i said, i had it set up to alert me when a keyword was posted in a forum and send me a free sms with a link to the post but someone else programmed it for me. I think its more simple than tasker though :)

Upvote 0
I've searched in vain for an app that sends alerts when there's a car chase being televised in the LA area. I've not only scoured Google Play but I've also checked local TV stations' web sites to see if they have such a creature, but I've come up blank. Before I moved back home to CA I *KNOW* I heard about something that did this--but that was circa 2006, so before Android, before smartphones were everywhere, etc., so it must have been a text message type thing sent to cell phones.

Does anyone know of such an app? (And, yes, I get quite a kick out of watching car chases, marveling at the morons who think THEY'RE going to be the one who actually loses the cops. :D)

A few years ago, I'm not super positive if or when it stopped, but on Tim Conways show on KFI640 am station advertised texting "Chase" to the station and my friends and I always received a text whenever a chase started.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones