• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help iTunes DMR Protected Music

mpaspe

Lurker
Aug 3, 2010
Ok, need help in unprotecting music from iTunes. I tried TuneClone but didn't work because the iTunes screenshot doesn't match with my iTunes Preference --> Advanced pop-up window.

I also tried LINK REMOVED but couldn't find it when I goggled it. This was suggested from the post on 01-27-2010.

Any ideas?

I thought I heard somewhere that songs downloaded from iTunes now aren't protected anymore... I bought a CD a few weeks ago, I just haven't gotten around to checking out the files... As soon as my SD card comes in the mail, I'll check.

Yup. Used to be that itunes music was protected and came in the .m4p format. Now it comes as .m4a when you buy it, and it imports directly onto your Android phone playable without any conversion. The .m4p format obviously won't. The free but time consuming way to convert it is to burn to CD and reimport in format of your choice. I used CDRW's to do about 30 songs. The faster options are one of the many virtual burners or direct decoders that run as little as $30, or depending on your threshold for personal financial impact, you can do it right through itunes for $0.30 per song. If you don't want to take the time to do it free, you weigh your options. The Apple per song fee is great for a handful of songs. If you have 100's of protected songs, the third party solutions make more sense if you're gonna pay.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones