• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jellybean, voice commands, note to self, gmail and chrome

El Blacksheep

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
Okay, not sure exactly which forum is the "right" place for this, but here goes:

I've been on Jellybean since this morning (and love it) but one feature that really stuck out to me was the "Note to self" voice command. It will email you with subject "Note to self," body containing a transcription of what you said, and an attached .amr file containing an audio clip of what you said.

At first I thought it was just sort of neat, but then I started thinking of how to make it more useful and less novel... so I went into Gmail, and set a filter. Sender: me & Subject "Note to self" -> Mark as important, Star it, and apply label "Notes."

Now all my notes are readily available in Gmail, good. But we can do better.

I went into Gmail on my phone and opened the message to see what the .amr file sounded like. To my delight, tapping the attachment made it immediately play within the gmail app. No need to download and open it in a separate app.

So of course I went to my PC and checked the same message (again, within the gmail website) and this time, clicking the attachment makes it download.

WAH :(

Does anyone know of a Chrome extension that allows .amr (or any audio file for that matter) to play within the browser without requiring a download?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones