• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Joey's Kernel - DE03 - SDX

So my first attempt did not go well...I started by patching the swupdater and putting the latest recovery tar in the binary folder (by itself). I put the phone in download mode and nothing. I started reading the old swupdater guide on sdx and it said to extract the tar, so I tried it with the .rfs instead of the tar and still nothing. Eventually I started getting usb errors so I just said screw it and crossed my fingers while I rebooted from the original recovery mode. Luckily it booted up fine and I'm back to square one. I uninstalled the usb drivers and the updater, should I just give it another go or am I missing a step?

/edit

Problem persists...I get the phone into download mode with the swupdater and then I get the windows install device prompt like it's not recognizing my drivers. Yawn, I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Upvote 0
So my first attempt did not go well...I started by patching the swupdater and putting the latest recovery tar in the binary folder (by itself). I put the phone in download mode and nothing. I started reading the old swupdater guide on sdx and it said to extract the tar, so I tried it with the .rfs instead of the tar and still nothing. Eventually I started getting usb errors so I just said screw it and crossed my fingers while I rebooted from the original recovery mode. Luckily it booted up fine and I'm back to square one. I uninstalled the usb drivers and the updater, should I just give it another go or am I missing a step?

/edit

Problem persists...I get the phone into download mode with the swupdater and then I get the windows install device prompt like it's not recognizing my drivers. Yawn, I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

If you download the file as a .tar, you just put that in the updater. Is that what you are doing? The file called joeykrim-SDX-recovery2.1.3.tar should be about 3,656kb, make sure it is about that size. Try that file, you can flash the other recovery later if you choose.

Upvote 0
Someone actually put out a patch that got the new swupgrade working. I'm actually working on it now and I think I'm good...I uninstalled everything Samsung related and deleted the directories, restarted, installed the new swupgrade, restarted, installed the patch, restarted, and tried again. This time I'm a go. I just got the custom recovery put on and judging by the earlier posts I just need to get the custom rom on there.

Upvote 0
You can use the patch to revert back to the old swupgrade or just replace the .DLL file in the binary folder of the new swupgrade directory. I'm not at my home computer now, so I can't tell you the exact name of the .Dll file, but a quick search thru this forum will render it. Either choice is very easy to do.

Upvote 0
OK...first of all i am new it this...i know a lot of people say this, sorry. I read a lot on this and the SDX forums to get where I have got right now on my phone, which is:

1. I updated to stock 2.1 using the sprint update tool.
2. I followed the video tutorial to root the phone
3. then i used joey's page (http://www.joeyconway.com/sdx/custom/index.php) to install the his kernel (joeykrim-SDX-kernel v2.0.4 (includes root)).

I have done nothing else to the phone but this and removing a couple of bloatware apps (i checked the list of permitted deletions before i removed anything.) I have not installed a new recovery..at least i dont think that I did as part of one of the other operations I performed (as an aside, i am not really sure what the custom recovery is or what it is used for, so i didnt install it...i guess i need to read up more...)

So that is where I am..but i have a couple of questions.

1) i am now having issues with my wifi connection - the signal reception is very spotty in areas where i should have atleast 2 bars of reception, and the wifi often cuts out completely....Is there any know corellation between joey's kernel and this wifi issue? I have searched the forums and have found nothing that answers this.

2) Is there an easy way to get back to the stock kernel? I have read that i can get back to stock everything by using the sprint download center where I did my original 2.1 update. But is there a way to get back to just the stock kernel without wiping the phone?

Sorry for the length of the post..thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
OK...first of all i am new it this...i know a lot of people say this, sorry. I read a lot on this and the SDX forums to get where I have got right now on my phone, which is:

1. I updated to stock 2.1 using the sprint update tool.
2. I followed the video tutorial to root the phone
3. then i used joey's page (http://www.joeyconway.com/sdx/custom/index.php) to install the his kernel (joeykrim-SDX-kernel v2.0.4 (includes root)).

I have done nothing else to the phone but this and removing a couple of bloatware apps (i checked the list of permitted deletions before i removed anything.) I have not installed a new recovery..at least i dont think that I did as part of one of the other operations I performed (as an aside, i am not really sure what the custom recovery is or what it is used for, so i didnt install it...i guess i need to read up more...)

So that is where I am..but i have a couple of questions.

1) i am now having issues with my wifi connection - the signal reception is very spotty in areas where i should have atleast 2 bars of reception, and the wifi often cuts out completely....Is there any know corellation between joey's kernel and this wifi issue? I have searched the forums and have found nothing that answers this.

2) Is there an easy way to get back to the stock kernel? I have read that i can get back to stock everything by using the sprint download center where I did my original 2.1 update. But is there a way to get back to just the stock kernel without wiping the phone?

Sorry for the length of the post..thanks in advance.

If you used Joey's kitchen, I think that you have to have one of the recoveries. Try turning the phone off and holding vol down, talk, and end. When recovery comes up, look to see if it says SDX. In any case, use the kitchen (http://www.joeyconway.com/sdx/custom/index.php) and select the DE03 stock kernel only, and that should put the stock one back in. I'm not experiencing that issue, but I would try a restart to see if it helps clear it up.

Upvote 0
If you used Joey's kitchen, I think that you have to have one of the recoveries. Try turning the phone off and holding vol down, talk, and end. When recovery comes up, look to see if it says SDX. In any case, use the kitchen (http://www.joeyconway.com/sdx/custom/index.php) and select the DE03 stock kernel only, and that should put the stock one back in. I'm not experiencing that issue, but I would try a restart to see if it helps clear it up.

I still have the stock recovery but that solution makes sense...I think that stock kernel file in the kitchen adds his recovery and I am not sure I want that.

Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
I still have the stock recovery but that solution makes sense...I think that stock kernel file in the kitchen adds his recovery and I am not sure I want that.

Thanks for the reply.

It doesn't add the recovery unless you check it, but I would add it. There has been no defects that I know of that the recovery has been the suspected culprit. It gives you better back-up and update options.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
OK, So I may not be smarter than a fifth grader.
I have a stock samsung moment with 2.1 update installed.
Can someone (In simple english) please explain to me what a Kernel is and what it does, and what I have to do to install one? I know you have explained it for others, but I am lost.
I do not have a recovery (I think) and how do I put the zip file on the card? I know how to access the card, do I have to put it somewhere special or will it just find it.
Is there a simple step by step instruction (if there is, please send me a link) from start to finish for this.
What are the advantages or disadvantages to using a Kernel?
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Upvote 0
It doesn't add the recovery unless you check it, but I would add it. There has been no defects that I know of that the recovery has been the suspected culprit. It gives you better back-up and update options.

thanks...yes, i was confusing his stock recovery file with another stock de03 file which i think does include his recovery.

can you be more specific about the advantages of his recovery?

thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0
I was wrong...after checking it again, i do in fact have the sdx recovery. sorry for the misinformation.
Good, the advantage is that it allowed you to flash that rom you built on the webpage. If I were you, I would build another rom and only select the stock kernel then flash it and compare your Wifi issue to Joey's kernel, you can also make a rom with only Joey's kernel and place both on the SD card (you'll have to rename one) , that way you can switch back and forth to fully compare the two.

Upvote 0
OK, So I may not be smarter than a fifth grader.
I have a stock samsung moment with 2.1 update installed.
Can someone (In simple english) please explain to me what a Kernel is and what it does, and what I have to do to install one? I know you have explained it for others, but I am lost.
I do not have a recovery (I think) and how do I put the zip file on the card? I know how to access the card, do I have to put it somewhere special or will it just find it.
Is there a simple step by step instruction (if there is, please send me a link) from start to finish for this.
What are the advantages or disadvantages to using a Kernel?
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I would say that Step #1 is to get one of the two SDX Recoveries on your phone, after that, everything else is easy.

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/and...ndroid-de03-2-1-with-joeykrim-recovery-2-1-3/

Reactions: my1zamboni
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones