• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Just a sanity check, newly rooted Moment

kingsqueak

Feb 21, 2010
So my new Moment, factory CL14, has been 'fixed'.

I have the following on it

Firmware 1.5
S:M900.8.0S.CJ05
Kernel 2.6.27 moment@momentdev
Build is ZE12.1
Hardware M900.8.0

Battery life was horrendous as stock, didn't even last a work day, so I'm trying this to see if things are better.

I looked at the details for what CL14 added and didn't think I needed to bother flashing Zeffie's CL14 once I put the phone back to 05.

I flashed 12.1 with the patchoob file.

All seems good, just wanted to know if this all sounds about right?

I've got vibrate for input, GPS and Wi-Fi all disabled, brightness at minimum. I have killed or removed anything I didn't want running so far.

The phone gets push from gmail, Moxier, and polls two other gmail accounts. I also have seesmic running.

Hopefully I get a full 'day' out of it without the battery dying. If I can charge it every night, I'll be totally happy.

Any advice appreciated...great forum, without all the links from here, I wouldn't have got this all sorted last night so easily.

You can run the http://www.notliveclan.com/SDX_File...om/SPH-M900_CL14_STOCK_FIXED_with_CJ05_SBL.7z put together by Zefie and the SDX crew and gain most all of the cl14 fixes (battery, keyboard lag, aGPS, etc..) but since it's still the cj05 bootloader, you can still be rooted and run the custom kernals, themes, etc.. on it. I'm running cl14 with kernal 10.3 along with Burst's Leo theme and she looks and runs great!

Stephen

Upvote 0
O.k. so when I flashed to 05, it totally wiped all my configuration out...figured it would.

From O5 to Zeffie's CL14, is it possible to flash that without wiping out all my config settings, principally all the account passwords as that is the most annoying part?

Good news is, yes, it will now last a full day of my moderate use of four email accounts, twitter, facebook in the browser, checking every hour or so. It barely made it 8hrs before and yesterday it went 8:30am with the morning coffee catch up through 12:30 am at 15% when I plugged it in to charge.

Upvote 0
If you are running ZE12.1.. you should have one of the datatool backups you can use in recovery mode to store all of your data just in case you do lose everything. (or you can use an app of the market called Titanium Backup.. awesome app.. does backup, plus removes system apps for you).. but.. you should not lose any of your data just going to the custom cl14... it didn't wipe any data off of mine when I upgraded to it, but I went from stock cj05.

Upvote 0
Excellent...

Figured out recovery mode, hadn't seen that yet.

Thanks for the datatool pointer...backed it up.

Flashed the CL14 fixed update...wipes the phone out, including ZE12.1.

Flashed the ZE12.1 in again.

Recovery mode, datatool->restore...like clockwork, all back to 'normal' again.

CL14 right way is noticeably more responsive to screen input, so it was totally worth doing the extra work to flash it in on top of the Zeffie 05 baseline.

Upvote 0
@kingsqueak.. glad it all worked out. Wiped the phone, huh? weird.. but, yeah.. the datatool feature was something I heard meantioned a couple times but never saw it explained.. then when I searched and found what all it did.. I was very happy to have something that could make a back-up of basically everything. I do it regularly and store a copy of the backup file on my home computer as well in case my newnes to all this screws my phone and crashes my sd card at the same time.. lol. Hit me up if you have anymore questions... be glad to share what limited knowledge I have.

Upvote 0
@kinsqueak... I just reread a thread over at SDX- Developers: General Structure of the Flash Update files - CL14- Explained

Made me remember what I did and why I told you wrong earlier.. originally I had upgraded to a cl14 compiled by the SDX gang before the original one had come out. It had been leaked out and they made their own version.. http://www.notliveclan.com/SDX_File...s/Custom/SPH-M900_CL14_WORKING_SYSTEM_ONLY.7z and http://www.notliveclan.com/SDX_Files/Full and Partial Roms/Custom/SPH-M900_CL14_CDMA-ONLY.tar which you can flash without wiping your data. (They had not implemented datatool and therefore a reliable back-up tool yet) So, later I flashed the one we have now which is closer to the "official" Sprint version, but with the cj05 sbl and custom kernals, so we could have the best of both. The newer one obviously does wipe your data (which doesn't really matter anymore since they have released the datatool back-up since then and we can restore it with ease).. anyways.. sorry for the slight error.. glad it all worked out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones