• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just bought a Galaxy s5, need some advice

outchillaxing

Jul 18, 2012
Hey guys, so I just picked up a s5 cause my s3 is dying. I wanted to get the wireless charging cover and need some advice on a few things. I know with the wireless cover, it makes the phone a little thicker. Which phone case should I get? I've always used the cheap silicone ones that you can get anywhere, but this time I was thinking of opting for a better case, like a Spigen. Also which wireless pad should I pick up? Should I get an OEM or should I just get a generic one from ebay? I don't mind spending a little more for OEM, if its worth it, since I can't upgrade every two years.

IMO, you will be much happier to just get an internal Qi wireless charger.

I have 3 of them that I bought for our two S5 phones. The 1st one worked like a champ, the 2nd one was too finicky for my taste so I ordered up a 3rd one that proclaimed to work thru an 8 mm air gap. (both phones have covers on them)

and it did. so I have an extra Qi charger.

All fit inside the OEM cover and do not bulge the case. By far the best route to go, any brand of case will fit on the phone.

The Samsung charger back is a monster in size and in price. I would not touch it with a long pole.

this is the good charger....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3J2KNI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if you hurry, you can buy it $10 cheaper than I did............

MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen UnLock, turns Data ON

Upvote 0
So you still retain the waterproof feature, since there's no bulge? I was actually looking at that Qi charger. But after reading some the the reviews it seems like some the chargers a made a little big making some people's phone bulge. I also found out that Diztronics made a case specifically for the Samsung Wireless cover. So I'm torn between which charger to get.

What charger are you using? I'm looking the Samsung mini, but think the pad would be better. I'm also looking at the TYLT Vu.

Upvote 0
yes, the case is still very tight and the water resistant feature is retained. I rarely use the USB port, all it is good for now is to transfer pictures to my PC.

One of the charger pads came with the 1st Qi receiver, both for $16.95 !!
it works just fine.

The 2nd one also came with the 2nd Qi recveiver I bought, it also works pretty good.

The 3rd pad I bought trying to get a better charging experience on my wife's S5 with the thick case on it. It is also working fine. All three on in service, one on my office desk next to my PC and using the USB port as the source. It charges at a slower rate, but who cares?

One by the wife's bedside table, one by my recliner in the TV room.

All of them fairly cheap, but all do the job. The two not in my office have a Samsung 2.1 amp power module on them. If the S5 is down to 10%, it will get very hot before it gets charged up. I try to recharge them at 50% to avoid getting the battery too hot. Heat is detrimental to batteries, so the cooler we can keep them, the better.

That is exactly why I like Qi chargers. Not using the phone? drop it on the charger and let it top off. That will make it last for many years.
Lithium batteries like to stay topped off, and don't care how often you recharge them..... contrary to Nicads, running a Lithium down to 10% or less is not good practice... that will shorten its' life.

Reactions: cmichael258
Upvote 0
Are you using a car dock, if so, with one?

I was liking the air dock, till I checked the price....

Now I'm thinking of just making one. I've seen a couple thread of people making. Not to hard and I'm pretty handy.

I did buy one Car Dock made especially for the S5, it will NOT fit with a case on the phone. That makes it a bit of a mess to use it, but once the S5 is locked into that dock, it will NOT come out. Also, the dock provides the USB3 type power plug which makes the connection very secure. It will NOT fall out from vehicle jostling around.

The dock uses a standard USB2 type plug to provide power to the dock. The dock has an extremely solid large diameter suction cup that can be released from the glass. I have used it on two long trips and it is very good.

I do not use it daily, too much trouble, but if you take long trips and want the S5 to stay put, this dock is the ticket.

* Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S5 Encased Car Mount Dock With Built In Charger - Windshield & Dashboard: Cell Phones & Accessories

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones