• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just Downloaded FROYO 2.2 via Kies Mini

after spending an entire weekend on the AT&T Froyo update, i noticed a few things..

1. the update un-rooted my phone
2. even more boatware than on 2.1
3. 2.2 froyo seems smoother but then 2.1 rooted with lag fix feels faster to me

i'm seriously thinking about rooting my phone again and flashing it to a custom rom over the weekend. froyo is nice and i'm digging the extra features but i think i'll be more content with a custom 2.2 rom

Upvote 0
1. the update un-rooted my phone

That was a given and expected.

3. 2.2 froyo seems smoother but then 2.1 rooted with lag fix feels faster to me
It's because Samsung did the idiotic thing of retaining their in-house RFS filesystem in their 2.2 update for some inexplicable reason.

If you want to do away with that and are going to jump into the custom ROM route (with all the usual disclaimers and warnings), you want to look at Cognition 4.

Upvote 0
Ok so on my first try I got it to download via mini kies. Something happened and the screen turned red and I had to go into emergency recovery mode. I did all of that and waited till the phone completely rebooted. Everything worked out ok and I am now running froyo on my captivate!! I am no reinstalling all of my widgets.

I'll check back with more updates.

Update 1: Nothing appears to be deleted. All of my apps are still there, sms still there and launcherpro is working well.
I just got a RSOD, gonna have to try recovery mode for a 3rd time :(

Upvote 0
Mine was on that screen for awhile too, but when it finished it showed the startup screen with the screen lock shown and vibrated a few times and blacked out on me. The screen was blank but my home keys were lit??? :thinking: I pulled the battery and restarted and so far good. I read and went through the tutorial and checked my firmware and is now 2.2. YAY! :D Hopefully all will be well.

mine is doing the same, however when i pulled the battery after about 5 min of being locked on the blank screen, it's simply doing the same thing: blank screen with the home keys lit...

Upvote 0
Oh crap, I think I bricked my Captivate. I didn't realize it took so long to update and I was trying to update it with the 30 minutes I had before work, but it got stuck at 25% for the longest time. Then it eventually moved to 26%, but that's when I HAD to leave for work. I know I shouldn't have unplugged it, but I unplugged it while it was upgrading.

Now when I open up Kies Mini, it allows me to go into Emergency Recovery mode, which seems to continue the upgrading process where it left off. But once the Emergency Recovery mode catches back up to 26%, a "USB not recognized" error pops up (Windows 7) on the lower right corner of the screen.

When I try to turn the phone on, it gets stuck at a "PHONE--!--COMPUTER" screen and I can't do anything. HELP! First comes to worse, I might just have to go into Odin 3 and master clear the phone, but that's the last option.

Wait, is it supposed to say "Emergency Recovery mode" on the screen when it's in that mode? Cuz when I hold down my Volume UP & Volume DOWN buttons, then plug it into my computer, the little Droid with the shovel appears and reads "Downloading...Do not turn off Target!"

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, why does that affect Kies Mini? And do you have any suggestion for getting my phone back to normal? I've been looking around here and XDA and can't find an exact solution. It's just stuck at PHONE--!--COMPUTER. I can't get the Emergency Recovery mode to work either, so I can't use Kies Mini to do the Emergency Recovery mode.

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, why does that affect Kies Mini? And do you have any suggestion for getting my phone back to normal? I've been looking around here and XDA and can't find an exact solution. It's just stuck at PHONE--!--COMPUTER. I can't get the Emergency Recovery mode to work either, so I can't use Kies Mini to do the Emergency Recovery mode.

i had the same thing. kies mini wouldn't budge beyond 1%. i removed the sim card and sd card to another phone so that i could receive/make calls. then tried to update again using kies and it worked.

so try to update your phone without sim card and sd card.

steps:

make sure the phone is detected when connected thru usb.
i.e. when you plugin the phone it should detect and you should be able to browse the contents of the internal sd card.

unplug the phone.

open kies (it would open in emergency recovery mode).

click emergency recovery. brings up a new screen saying how to plugin phone, etc. and the emergency recovery button is disabled.

plug in the phone holding down both volume keys.
the emergency recovery button should now enable.

click on emergency recovery.

Upvote 0
i had the same thing. kies mini wouldn't budge beyond 1%. i removed the sim card and sd card to another phone so that i could receive/make calls. then tried to update again using kies and it worked.

so try to update your phone without sim card and sd card.

steps:

make sure the phone is detected when connected thru usb.
i.e. when you plugin the phone it should detect and you should be able to browse the contents of the internal sd card.

unplug the phone.

open kies (it would open in emergency recovery mode).

click emergency recovery. brings up a new screen saying how to plugin phone, etc. and the emergency recovery button is disabled.

plug in the phone holding down both volume keys.
the emergency recovery button should now enable.

click on emergency recovery.
This is correct I had to run this around 5 times before it didn't crash. It kept giving me a solid color screen and crashing during the update.

Worked and 2.2 is great, so much more responsive.

Upvote 0
Upgraded my Captivate phone with no problems, Kies 1.5.3.10088_66, Win7-64, Professional. Seemed to take a really long time though, 45 mins to an hour, but all well in the end. Tried to do the same with the wife's phone (both phones at OTA released FW from November 2010 and purchased in October 2010) and major problems. Her phone was much much slower than mine probably 2 hours and never totally rebooted. Got to the 'Screen is locked twice', would not unlock with the swipe and finally just started to continuly cycle off, boot to the G3 screen, turn off and start over. When I exited Kies my antivirus popped up a message that Outlook had a infected file and to do a boot level scan. (Kies and the phone had been disconnected from the PC) I did and when Outlok came back it said it had shut down with a serious problem with the Kies outlook plug in. I've had no problems with the PC nor Outlook 2010 since.
As for the phone, I finally pulled the battery and resorted to Odin. That too took over an hour to come back to the reboot screen. It reported all threads completed with 0 failures. It did seem to hang for a very long time (40 mins) about mid progress bar. However all was not well, the phone never got past the white "AT&T World Phone" screen. It would stay on that screen until the battery died. I was never again able to force download mode to retry ODin after recharging the battery. No matter how I tried as soon as I plugged the USB cable in the phone went to battery charge mode, even though the battery was fully charged. I could not find any other way to recover so I gave up and got a replacement from AT&T.
One thing about her phone that maybe I should have corrected prior to downloading was her phone always said an update was available after the 1CH7 update was OTA updated. Mine never said that after I updated via Kies.
Did I miss a recovery method? Any one have any ideas on how I may have messed this up? I've done many FW upgrades on PCs, routers, disk drives, motherboards, etc. and never had a problem before.
The replacement phone has arrived and is at 1CH7 but I'm leery of making another attempt to get 2.2.
Thanks for any help or coments, Bill D

Upvote 0
Using Kies Mini I was just doing an update, not really aware that it may be the 2.2. Anyhow it locked up at 8% of the dowload. I emergency recovered it and it'd go 11% before locking up. I emergency recovered it one more time and it went 11% again then locked up. I have since been unable to get it to recognize my phone. Anhow, this all began over two hours ago. I'll try another computer.
I do get two of the following on my phone screen...
1. I get the yellow guy shoveling when I vol up and vol down while plugging in cord with the text "downloading" and "do not turn off target". Nothing happens there sitting 30+minutes.
2. I get white outlines of a phone and computer separated by an orange exclamation point sign. Nothing happens for extended periods.
Help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Oh, as you may already can tell I am not very computer savvy.

Upvote 0
Just updated mine last night (Windows 7X64 System)
Had all the fun connection problems, finely got it to connect with Mini Kies.
After I got the program to see the phone (was rooted & custom rom) did a factory reset(woops, forgot to backup my contacts first)
Installed 2.2 & am up and running.

I am glad for AppBrain :thumbsup: made it easy to get all the apps I had before back quickly.

Enabled Root & Non Market Apps, need to just get the firewall working again, it keeps saying it can't get SU permission, going to work on that today.

If all goes well, I'll repeat it (with backing up the data this time) on the wifes phone.

Reactions: lovergirl
Upvote 0
updated my refurb C. from Dec. AT&T.
froze on the dl to phone on first try using AT&T directions
used Samsung directions with Mini Kies up and running.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...2349485/ATT_I897_Captivate_Kiesmini_Guide.pdf

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SGH-I897ZKAATT

no hiccups. took about 15 minutes.

does not appear to be any faster in bootup or apps load
AT&T/Samsung must have gotten most of the sw bugs out with the later phones and the late refurbs.

GPS took at least 2 hours to dl all the ephemeris data and almanac data from the sats. not any faster or more accurate than the old refurb GPS which was very good for non WAAS. 8 secs to GPS SAT fix inside a wooden 1 story house with composite roof.

was it worth it? maybe not unless the Froyo apps are killers.
oh well

Upvote 0
Funny: I upgraded my phone on February 26 (and posted my observations in this thread). Today at 12:19, I get this text message:

AT&T Free Msg: An important software update is available for your Samsung Captivate. To update to Android 2.2, connect to SAMSUNG's Digital World and follow the instructions.
This makes it look like AT&T can't tell whether I've already performed the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones