• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got my second Droid X so happy! need some tips!

blackbook88

Nov 16, 2009
So I sold my droid inc and got the X on launch day. I fell in love with the phone, but one night at a party I was a little too out of it n my phone got trashed ( cracked screen, dropped many times, beer got in that thing aswel :(. But long story short I just got back from the local vzw with a brand new droid x I even got a silicone case and screen protector :). Im bac in love with this phone it feels amazing with the new 2.2 update.

What's new. I wanted the latest greatest apps on my droid. I started with a few games etc but what do you guys recomend as far as what to use for the browser, music player, and i'm also looking for an app to hold my social security number, credit cards and bank accounts. I use mint for managing my finances, what a great app. I also forgot what app os good to use where you can set which programs open up at launch andwhich programs don't luanch. What's your favorite launcher?

Is everyone rooting their x's? Is it a safe simple process to root a droid x with froyo? I would root for the sole purpose to just delete all the B.S stock apps I don't like and are people overclocking these things yet?

Sorry for the long ramble I've been out of the smart phone scene for a little bit but im just excited to have this great phone again I'm ready to fully customize this thing and treat it the way the best droid on the market is supposed to be treated.

I have been playing with this thing non stop. I am currently using the antiglare screen protector and silicone case. I love the feel of the anti glare on my thumbs but it make the screen look a little different, what's the best screen protector out? Also I may want another case as the silicone one doesn't offer much protection are there any nice ones out put for the X? The cases at the vzw store weren't that nice.

Also is there anyway to rename apps? is there a simple method to root the droid xx with 2.2? I tried roofing via the droid 2 method from my mac but it was a bit confusing. Is it worth rooting the X? Can it easy overclocked? Also what are some battery saving methods. Also do any of you run a task killer or system profiler?

Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Does anyone use a system Lamson or task killer also what about root. Also when I go into system Lamson my phone Has a lot of open storage but a lot of memory usage. What's eating up my memory?

With the android system you do not need any task killers whatsoever. The
OS handles this on its own and by you closing out tasks it will eat up battery (not a lot though) and will slow your system down. With 2.2, Google removed the api for apps to kill other apps so most take you to the running services menu in app settings to kill it manually. With RAM you want that sucker full. This is not windows. With full RAM you open programs a lot faster. Full RAM will not slow down your device. If the OS needs more RAM it will shut down the thing that hasn't been used in a while and that will free it up when needed. This is a very on-demand device capable of handling itself. If I'm wrong with anything please, someone correct me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones