• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just Once or Always - how to undo?

I've done a silly thing.
I pressed the Always button in stead of the Just Once.
Please tell me how to undo this setting.
I was selecting ringtones and given the option when looking for my ringtone files. Grrhh.
thanks,

Go to Settings - Application Manager - view ALL.

Find the app you loved so much to set it for "always" :) , and clear the Defaults". It's at the lower part of the screen, so if not visible, scroll.

Upvote 0
Who at Google thought this was a good idea? I've hated this "feature" since my GNex. I never can commit to an "Always" on anything (except my Nova launcher).

DITTO!
Nova = Always

For me this is an on going love/hate relationship.

Whenever I open a link and I'm asked to make the choice when I don't need it, I look at that damn menu and hate the extra step. But when I need it, I'm only too happy to be given the choice :)

Upvote 0
Who at Google thought this was a good idea? I've hated this "feature" since my GNex. I never can commit to an "Always" on anything (except my Nova launcher).

It applies to things besides links to websites. For example, for a link to an address I want it to always pick Google Maps/Navigation.

But you're right, for a lot of things I will always want the choice.

Upvote 0
MX player for all video is fine by me. Being able to adjust volume and brightness from touching the screen... I love that app.

One thing that I wish I could set to always is when browsing through contacts... I have postcodes (zip codes for the Americans) stored in contacts details as you normally would... If I press on the postcode I have the option for map but not directly to navigate!? So I have to press additional buttons.

However I've heard a lot of people talk about waze so I've downloaded that and it appears as an option to "always use" when clicking on postcodes in my contacts list.

Upvote 0
Hi, I cleared the defaults for Chrome and Internet and other apps I opened but I still don't get the choice menu.
Either you haven't cleared the right app, or there is no second choice (e.g., if Chrome is the only browser you have installed, anytime a function needs to access a browser it will open Chrome without asking

Upvote 0
I'm having a problem on both my Note 8.0 and my S4, so I'm thinking this is a Samsung problem.

I'm having trouble getting these two devices to remember my default app choices. For example, if I want to download a PDF from a webpage that I've opened in Chrome, it gives me three apps that I can use to download the PDF... Internet (which I've disabled, so you'd think it would stop showing up), Chrome, and MoonReader.

I want to use Chrome, so I select it and tap "Always", and it gives me a message saying "clear default app settings by going to Settings / Application Manager / All".

I have already cleared the default app settings, and this message ALWAYS comes up when I want to download a new PDF. It never seems to remember my choice. It isn't PDF specific. I have this issue with opening YouTube links, and when opening links embedded in emails, and a few other things occasionally.

I did not have this problem with my previous phone, which was a Galaxy S2X, but I do have it on both of my brand new Samsung devices.

Upvote 0
Hi, I am using Moto g4 .. by mistake I have clicked on "always" in set ringtone option.. now I am trying to set ringtone.. but I'm not able to find "once"option.

""Go to Settings - Application Manager - view ALL.

Find the app you loved so much to set it for "always" :) , and clear the Defaults". It's at the lower part of the screen, so if not visible, scroll."... Even I have followed these steps, but "clear default" is graded out.

Please help me to get "once or always" option

Upvote 0

Find the app you loved so much to set it for "always" :) , and clear the Defaults". It's at the lower part of the screen, so if not visible, scroll.

Thanks so much for this information, which Android should make a little easier to figure out! I accidentally made saving the finished results of an art app to photos default, instead of pressing Just Once. I sometimes like to share my creations with friends on social media, too. I wish there was a happy medium between ONLY doing one thing, or having to choose from every single option every time I press "Share." In the meantime, I went into photos, to defaults, and cleared all its defaults, then opened the art app & chose Share on one finished piece, and it gave me a full menu, so I'm happy!

Upvote 0
What would the "happy medium" between setting a default and having a choice be? How could the phone know when you wanted to use the default and when you wanted to be asked?

On some devices (or maybe some apps) the order of the "share" options changes according to how often you use it. That's the best I can see, to be honest. But then my Photos app has never offered a "always" or "just once" for sharing, nor have my other gallery apps or my previous devices for this, so I'm also a little surprised there.

Upvote 0
What would the "happy medium" between setting a default and having a choice be? How could the phone know when you wanted to use the default and when you wanted to be asked?

On some devices (or maybe some apps) the order of the "share" options changes according to how often you use it. That's the best I can see, to be honest. But then my Photos app has never offered a "always" or "just once" for sharing, nor have my other gallery apps or my previous devices for this, so I'm also a little surprised there.

I meant when it comes to the choices come up. It's either, choose one app that it defaults to all the time, or have a menu open so you have to choose from EVERY other app on your device, plus a menu at the top with contacts you've interacted with via email or a messenger app. And the choice you make most frequently is not always near the top, depending on how else you use your device. I'd like it if I could customize the sharing menu for each app. That's what I'd like to do.

Upvote 0
On my phone the sharing menu is different in different gallery apps, but there's never a choose one always option. Opening a file of a particular type will give that (as will any other intent handling), but I've never seen it in the share option of any gallery app.

But the share behaviour is different in different gallery apps, and none of them on my device exactly matches what you describe. On my Pixel Google Photos is, perhaps not surprisingly, oriented towards you sharing Google photos links with people, and a list of alternative apps comes below that (in a cramped, side-scrolling style). Simple Gallery gives the "system share" interface: a few people I commonly share with using messaging apps (including which app) then a list of apps. F-Stop has a very old-fashioned drop down list of apps, at the bottom of which is the an option to use the "system share". And my ancient copy of QuickPic (from before Cheetah Mobile got their spammy data-slurping claws into it) just has a list of apps and doesn't know about the system share. I'd not be surprised to learn that the "system share" behaviour differs between devices as well.

I agree that being able to fix your own order for the system share items would be best. But one thing that Google have in common with Apple is a tendency to think they know better than you do...

Upvote 0
I made screen prints from 2 different apps to show how many choices I get when I choose to share. One of the apps is an art app, the other a sports app that has articles & scores. The art app in particular gives me way too many options. Most of the apps on both menus, I've *never* used on this or any device, ever. If I could find a way to never include those in the share option, I'd be so happy. Plus, all but one of the email contacts it listed are people I have no business with anymore, they aren't in my Contacts, they are just people to whom I sent at least 2 emails in the past. There are people I message nearly every day, why doesn't it choose them? I'm a historian, I realize better than most people that I'm complaining about touching icons on a screen that still makes my life a million times easier than my grandmother's was. Yet, it's a search for perfection that drives changes in technology, so as long as they're going to make things, they should make them concise & efficient.
20190530_195900.jpg
20190530_195240.jpg

Upvote 0

:mustachedroid: - How perfectly MARVELOUS that you found this out! Good Show! It works like a charm. I went into apps originally and toggled something with defaults but it wasn't the right one. I thank you! :specsdroid: -T

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones