• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keeping location service on

trickyrick

Mar 15, 2011
I've had some trouble with my 16 year old daughter so I installed Life360 it's a location service for families worked good for a few days until my daughter started turning her location service off. Is there anyway to maybe delete the location service shortcut so she can't turn it off

I would consider turning on Parental Controls on the device first.

Depending on who your carrier is, whether the phone is locked to their network, and a couple of other factors precisely how this is done differs slightly. I'd do a web search on your carrier name along with "Samsung Galaxy S7" and "parental controls" then look through what comes up.

Upvote 0
Asked her what? Not to turn it off? I guess one could, and indeed should, but I have no compunction whatsoever about using parental controls on the devices of minor children.

Even if she promised that she would not, the option still exists, and if a parent wishes to make that option unavailable that seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Upvote 0
It has been my general observation that parents don't resort to "spying" on their children (and I wouldn't call wanting to know their whereabouts "spying") unless honesty on the part of said children is, shall we say, intermittent.

She is, indeed, 16. That's entirely the point.

You are, however, correct that none of the above substitutes for actually talking directly with your kids, and about uncomfortable subjects. The parent, however, is the final arbiter.

Upvote 0
It has been my general observation that parents don't resort to "spying" on their children (and I wouldn't call wanting to know their whereabouts "spying") unless honesty on the part of said children is, shall we

You'd be surprised!

And if a 16 year old girl is anxious to avoid having her privacy invaded in such a way... she'll easily find a way around it. Which may mean the phone isn't at the same location as she is, which ironically makes her less available to her parents.

But, this isn't the discussion that the OP was asking for.. And as i'm fully aware of what the OP wrote , so, beyond the general advice of making sure there is communication between both parties, I think this is as far as this part of the discussion can go.

Last edited:
Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
You'd be surprised!

Pay attention to the opening post. The statement, "I've had some trouble with my 16 year old daughter so I installed Life360," contains not-veiled-at-all subtext. I'm just accepting the evidence offered.

I do, however, agree that this conversation has gone as far as it can go, barring someone knowing additional details that would be pertinent.

Upvote 0
You can delete the shortcut from the pull down notification tray, but not from the settings itself. You could try an app like Where's My Droid. I haven't used that app in years though (ever since Google had a way to Find Device) so I'm not sure how well it works with newer versions of Android. But with that app you could turn location services on remotely if they were turned off. There are probably other apps that can do this as well.

Another option would be to install something like Avast which will allow you to turn put a pin/password on the settings so she can't get into the settings at all. I have this on all my kids phones and tablets to keep them out of the settings. Avast also has a way to locate the device but I haven't messed with it.

I've never messed with the Parental controls so I don't know what all you can do with that.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones