• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL][UPDATE: 05/24/2012] bKernel-v2.3 & bKernel-CM7-v2.3 - 2.6.32.59

Nah you don't have to wipe anything!

I've been running my kernel on g60's latest cm7 and the batteryis holding up really good. However has my latest cm7 kernel broke the interspersed wifi tethering support? It is on my phone and I didn't know if it was the kernel or some of the mods I've done to my cm7 install!

Oh and so everyone knows, I'm working on my own branch of cm7 basedoff g60's build. I'm going to make a theme app, like cyanbread or androidian, and include it along with many tweaks and bKernel and much more. No etas at the moment though!

Reactions: MikeRL
Upvote 0
After trying to connect to wifi it appears that my kernel breaks wifi and the wifi hotspots. I'm gonna have to check it out and see what's going on!

I cant confirm on the connecting to wifi but i know my native hotspot is not broken im running it on guiding light. And i have the 108 tweak script and thats about all i have done to it.
I should mention that I'm using the new kernel 1.2

Edit: I didn't connect first then try it there is no wifi around to test.

Upvote 0
Hey whenever you applied patch 2.6.32.40 did you have any conflicts in the drivers/mmc/core/core.c and drivers/mmc/core/host.c, because I did, and I had to go in and fix the conflicts. That may be where the issue came from. Some of the changes in the .40 patch were already implemented in our kernel source, but some wasn't. If you want you can use my commit for the 2.6.32.40 patch. I know it works stable on FroYo, and I'm testing my CM7 kernel now. I had to mess with the initram to even get it to boot lol! My kernel was a little outdated!

Yeah, I did have the rejects and I "supposedly" fixed them. But I must have missed something the first time. I just tried applying the patch again and refixed the rejects and this time it seems to be working ok.

Upvote 0
Somewhere along the line during the CM7 development, someone fixed the notification/music bug. I can't remember if it was Whyzor, g60madman, or somebody else but it was the one where if music was playing & you got a notification, the music volume would significantly decrease when the notification was done.
Anyway, ever since that fix I no longer had that problem. That was until I flashed the CM7 kernel v1.2 the other day. It seems to have broken that fix because that bug returned after the flash. Is anyone else having this problem?

B_randon, is it even possible that this kernel would break that fix or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Upvote 0
b_randon14, thanks for all your work on this. I'm trying out your stock bKernel 2.0, since I use HDMI and don't want to lose it or any other functions missing from CM7 and newer ROMs.

I cleared my cache and dalvik cache, just in case even though it sounds like that wasn't necessary. I had to reboot twice to get all my launcher icons working, but now everything seems to be running smoothly.

Upvote 0
I haven't experienced the volume bug. It nay be the audio focus setting in cyanogenmod sound settings. But the kernel shouldn't effect that. Not saying it can't but it shouldn't!

And for you all having issues with installing the kernel, please tell me what rom you are on and the kernel you tried to flash along with exact steps. I have never had an issue flashing my kernel.

My kernel will stay at the bootlogo longer than others because of the way I compile my kernel it comes out larger than most, so at boot it takes longer to load it into memory!

Upvote 0
I haven't experienced the volume bug. It nay be the audio focus setting in cyanogenmod sound settings. But the kernel shouldn't effect that. Not saying it can't but it shouldn't!

And for you all having issues with installing the kernel, please tell me what rom you are on and the kernel you tried to flash along with exact steps. I have never had an issue flashing my kernel.

My kernel will stay at the bootlogo longer than others because of the way I compile my kernel it comes out larger than most, so at boot it takes longer to load it into memory!

It was stuck for 5 minutes at the Boot Logo screen. I was running your Brom 1.2 and I was updating the Kernel to 2.0 after booting into it the first time. CAn you give me some indication of how much time a first boot should take?

Upvote 0
I have just updated both kernels. The FroYo is at v2.2 and the CM7 kernel is a v1.4. They both include the same changes, and they both run very good.

I have flashed the CM7 one to g60's latest CM7 and it works fine, and it should work on any flavor of CM7.

I have flashed the FroYo kernel to bROM and the stock ROM and they both booted up fine. I have not been able to reproduce the hang at the splash screen that some of you all are experiencing on the stock ROM, but I am trying to recreate it so I can figure out what is happening. This latest kernel should flash fine, but if not, know that I am still trying to figure out what is causing it!

I changed zRam around a bit, and now it is setup by default with a disksize of around 96 mb, which I run 100 mb, but now all you should have to do is call mkswap on /dev/zram0 (on the FroYo kernel) and zRam should work fine!

Hope everyone enjoys the new kernels, and keep on the lookout for CM7 bROM edition, its in the works right now!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones