• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keyboard: How to insert new line

I haven't played with too many vanilla ROMs, but one thing I liked about Sense was that when you hit the enter/return key, you got a line break. Hitting that on the vanilla ROMs I tried just gives you an apparent space. When done though, the line breaks show up.

So, you're probably putting in a new line when you hit the enter/return key, but it's showing up as a space until the keyboard goes away. Still, that's me guessing. I'd request a mod move this to the Nexus S forums so that you could get a more accurate response.

Upvote 0
There is no enter key, only a smlilies key...

Although a sms is supposed to be short, I'd really like to put some structure into it...

I just can't believe, that there is now way to insert a new line...
I think I must have overlooked something... Didn't I?

@Medion: Is this really a Nexus S specific issue or doesn't it rather apply to all android 2.3 phones, that ony come with the standard key board?

Upvote 0
There is no enter key, only a smlilies key...

Although a sms is supposed to be short, I'd really like to put some structure into it...

I just can't believe, that there is now way to insert a new line...
I think I must have overlooked something... Didn't I?

@Medion: Is this really a Nexus S specific issue or doesn't it rather apply to all android 2.3 phones, that ony come with the standard key board?

The smiley key changes to enter key after hitting shift key.

Reactions: grvkush
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones