• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

keyboard menu has option for speach to text, but..

AndroidMax

Android Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
Hi. The keyboard options menu when sending a text includes "Voice to text" on or off, and says that when on, a microphone will be displayed allowing you to speak your message. I have turned it on, off, rebooted, updated, etc, and my phone will not do this. It is a Sprint model, and the only other non native app I have on the phone is Google Voice. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I know there are several different ways of doing this. I can use the Galaxy Voice app and just say "Text *contact name here*" , say my message and that's it, it does everything for me. If I open a messaging app and go the manual route when you have the keyboard on screen select the gear to the left of the space bar and hold it down for a second. This will cause a small context menu to pop up that contains several options(Microphone(Voice), T(Text),..exc.) . Select the microphone and you will be able to speak your message. I know there are other ways to do this but these are just the ones I have discovered thus far.

Using Android Voice commands to put in a question mark you just say "Question Mark". Not sure if Google voice is the same or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones