• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keyboards, again.

artaxerxes

Sep 2, 2011
I know you are all annoyed by keyboards, but I couldn't find enough to match these questions.

First, I have a physical bt keyboard. I'd like to use it, but I don't want the soft keyboard to appear. So, I heard you could freeze apps (when rooted). I was thinking, could you safely freeze the keyboard apps (not delete!) and force the system to only use the bt keyboard? Or would that really muck up the system?

Secondly, relating to the first, I'm beginning to use the "Hacker's Keyboard". But in your opinion, is it trustworthy and secure (e.g. trust using it w/ passwords)? I know it's under the pretense of open source 'protection' (i.e. look at my code and compile it yourself), but I've always had bad luck compiling other people's code.

Thirdly, the "Hacker's Keyboard" has the ability to hide (inc. a feature to detect external keyboards). But if I use the bt keyboard and hide the soft keyboard, would the keystrokes go through the keyboard app, or are the keystrokes registered elsewhere?

Anyway. As I've said, I'm starting to like the "Hacker's Keyboard", it's extremely useful for things like ssh. But I'd still like to work out the bt keyboard 'issue', as sometimes I need to do a lot of typing.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones