• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Keyboards

Deech

Mar 1, 2010
Just (finally) moved to FroydVillian 1.7.2 Is there only the one Keyboard, just I miss the one from 2.1 which had the alternative characters just by using long keypress, rather than having to chage over to the alternative characters set (like a shift key) If there is only one is it possible to have alternates and Where are they?! thanks in advance

yes I'm gussing it's the standard one too, it's whatever villian have fitted (or not removed :) ) Otherwise it's fab, other than seem to use the battery a bit faster but hey ho :) Oh and thanks will pop over and have look see ermm why the low res one? it's running froyd or is it due to the hardware was built for 1.6?

Upvote 0
Otherwise it's fab, other than seem to use the battery a bit faster but hey ho :)

Are you coming from stock 2.1? I think froyo roms tend to be a little more power hungry anyway, but it's also possible that villain made it overclock by default, which would explain it. (I know they do that sometimes, although it doesn't mention overclocking on the 1.7.2 download page).

Upvote 0
Thanks dude, just check the ondemand setting and lo one is labled smartass......button pressed....

Just fecked about installing AndroidSDK to get the ADB drives to use Android Commander to install the Keyboard (that started this thread) to find the actual bits I need are not in the SDK anymore.....Jeesh!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I found them on a mega upload link :)
so time to bin the SDK

Back on topic
Followed the instructions for chaging the KB in the second post, but nowt happens, prsee bottom left and the new KB isnt listed in the options Just the Android One.....hmmmmmm more goooglooogogoggggling me thinks :p

EDIT
Ok found it...press anywhere in the "Input Box" ie where you type the message, then you cna chose the input method....but not working from the press and hold bottom left button......oh hum and all :)

Upvote 0
I just updated to 1.7.2 froydvillain yesterday and also want to change the keyboard. Downloaded the gingerbread keyboard read from this post:
http://androidforums.com/hero-all-things-root/232466-gingerbread-keyboard-autocomplete.html
flashed the zip, however dont know what to do now? poked around in settings but couldnt find any help. Anybody? Thanks

Once you've flashed it, you need to enable it in Settings >> Language and Keyboard and then find a text box, press and hold on the text box and pick 'Choose input method'.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones