• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Kitkat is coming [discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.
haven't had time to github it all but here is the device tree I put together

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwwby1q0l4nyahk/kingdom-4.4-tree.zip

doesn't need msm7x30 device folder or multiple vendor folders because device trees set up like that are a huge annoyance to me.

updated some blobs (mainly video stuff so far) using the msm7x30 kernel on evervolv git

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm on boost mobile and I can't seem to connect to my network for Data I can make phone calls I receive phone calls text messaging works both incoming and outgoing but when I try to connect to the internet through my network it won't let me when I first boot up it says connecting to network asked me if I want to skip I don't and it never connects unless I connect to my wifi

Upvote 0
What gapps is everyone using? I tried the CM version here and the install failed most of the way. It did install the Play Store at least!

My camera failed and I could not connect to data. The "EVO 4G" app doesn't see the WiMAX radio, but I don't really have any hope for that working. Overall it looks really promising.

I am using the Latest Gapps from the Carbon download page

Carbon gapps

Google removed the source for WiMax so there are no drivers for it to work with this device on KitKat.

I think the Camera Drivers aren't out of the box like any other roms for this device.

Not sure about data.

Upvote 0
seems like freedompop uses a different touchscreen than the original variants?

is anyone not on that device getting no touchscreen?

I think I found the source of the touchscreen issue.

I compared the Evervolv kernel source with the 2FastRoms kernel source (used in BlueKingdom), and I found that the drivers/input/touchscreen/Makefile differ in lines 53-54:

The Evervolv Kernel has:
Code:
#obj-$(CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_SYNAPTICS_3K)       += synaptics_3200.o synaptics_3k_incell.o rmi_dev.o
obj-$(CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_SYNAPTICS_3K)       += synaptics_3k.o

(with the first line commented out, as indicated) whereas the 2FastRoms kernel has:
Code:
obj-$(CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_SYNAPTICS_3000) += synaptics_3k.o
obj-$(CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_SYNAPTICS_3K)       += synaptics_3200.o synaptics_3k_incell.o rmi_dev.o

I replaced the two lines with the ones from 2FastRoms, built the kernel, and repackaged the ROM. Touch screen is now working. I don't know much what I'm doing, but this should help you fix it.

Upvote 0
haven't had time to github it all but here is the device tree I put together

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwwby1q0l4nyahk/kingdom-4.4-tree.zip

doesn't need msm7x30 device folder or multiple vendor folders because device trees set up like that are a huge annoyance to me.

updated some blobs (mainly video stuff so far) using the msm7x30 kernel on evervolv git

Sorry for being a noob, but what do I do with this? Is it the source? Upgrade for existing rom?
Thanks!

EDIT: Do I flash it?

Upvote 0
Sorry for being a noob, but what do I do with this? Is it the source? Upgrade for existing rom?
Thanks!

EDIT: Do I flash it?
It's the source only need it if you are building the rom itself from source and please don't flash it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgn7bc7g739eh22/d1.zip

early alpha preview carbon 4.4.2. not sure how well connectivity works since my kingdom hasn't had service in 2 years

This is the KitKat rom if you don't already have it.

Goku123

Upvote 0
I'm on boost mobile and I can't seem to connect to my network for Data I can make phone calls I receive phone calls text messaging works both incoming and outgoing but when I try to connect to the internet through my network it won't let me when I first boot up it says connecting to network asked me if I want to skip I don't and it never connects unless I connect to my wifi

Yeah, I can connect to Sprint network for calls and texts (hypothetical ones for me, since I'm on FreedomPop), but no data or 3G.

Also, my sdcard refuses to mount. Internal storage is fine, but all my media and backups are inaccessible.

Love the look and feel of the ROM, though. If we can get 3G and external storage, I'll keep it. Really appreciate the work you've put in, jssa28!

Upvote 0
yea a lot of the issues are due to old vendor files, we are running kitkat and they are from ICS. Our ril is old and will have issues with connectivity and data. The hardware on the phone is old and doesn't have much support.

the phone will never be faster that it is now on kitkat - 500mb ram and a single core cpu doesn't cut it

finding suitable updates for vendor files is a long process. Our 4.4.2 will never be able to become stable with no dev's on this phone (probably due to its tiny userbase) which is why I rather just have invested the time spent on kitkat into JB aosp.

Reactions: patsfann
Upvote 0
TPDM what is working for you and what is not working for you, can you update us?

Most everything seems to work. I'm not sure about 3G data since my Hero S is no longer in service. There is no camera app pre-installed and Camera360 can't start the camera. Which is no surprise because not many custom roms on any Android device work well with the camera.

I tried both Dalvik and ART runtimes, and the phone seems to run fine in both.

The phone only uses about half the RAM on idle in ART, which is very impressive since most ROMs on this phone use up all but a about 100MB. Considering the ROM is based of CarbonROMs which has plenty of fancy eye-candy options to enable, which all work great, but add more lag while navigating the menus. I noticed that, in developer options, if you turn down all the animation scale settings to .25x the phone also feels faster than the default 1x settings.

The phone seems to run fairly smooth, especially with the CPU Governor set on Performance which kills the battery of course. Due to the phone's age and older hardware, you just can't expect a lag-free experience like the multi-CPU MotoX for example, but this ROM is definitely running well enough you could make it work as a daily driver ROM if you didn't need the camera. Since it's 4.4.2 you also get all the cool features with that. Such as the white theme, Google now, active display (which seems to be touchy on this ROM) and the built-in printing capability.

Hopefully this answers any questions you may have, and please, feel free to ask more if necessary!

Reactions: Tattooedgod
Upvote 0
Hey Guys, i know this is a little off topic, but I recently created a minimalistic system monitor widget app, and as a member of this phone forum, I was hoping you guys could help me out and check it out!

It's a simple widget, so It would help you monitor battery and cpu speeds across roms, and It doesn't drain your battery, so you dont have to worry about that. Any ways, here's the link to the thread I made, io hope you guys could reply on there and let me know what you think, thanks!

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...istic-android-system-monitor.html#post6491260

Reactions: maikalwolf
Upvote 0
Rom work smooth but some things doesn't work. GSM, Camera, many games.... Waiting for updates
Слава Україні!)
GSM works, you only need to edit build.prop before flashing

didn't find GApps on the ROM...

GApps can be downloaded via Settings - Updates, after only need to install through recovery

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones