• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Last.Fm - blocking update?

Hi all.

Last.FM is moving to a subscription service for portable devices - which means you now have to pay for something you have been getting free for X many years. :(

Anyway, Android is telling me there are updates available and one of them is for Last.FM. After doing a little research, it seems if you update, you will then have to subscribe and pay for the service, if you just never update, it will continue to be free. :D

Is there anyway to stop the application from checking for updates, or blocking the application from being updated so I can use the Android Market 'Update All' function - where as at the moment I need to select everything but Last.FM to update. :rolleyes:

Are you sure on that? I doubt the application itself can allow a free service if you are not subscribed. The subscription is at user account level.

Anyway, in answer to your question, no.

With the latest market, being rooted AND having an application which removes apps from the market (Disassociates from the market), the new market still keeps adding it back.

Upvote 0
Are you sure on that? I doubt the application itself can allow a free service if you are not subscribed. The subscription is at user account level.

Listening to it right now ;)

Others who have updated have said they now have to subscribe to continue listening to the service on a potable device.

I also received an email stating that the service is now a premium subscriber service.

Upvote 0
If you read the email, it states:

From February 15 you will need to be a subscriber to listen to Last.fm Radio stations on devices, including your Last.fm Android app.

And...

A free 3 month subscription to Last.fm
This will start automatically on February 15th 2011.

meaning...

As a result you will continue to be able to use Last.fm as you do today until the end of your subscription.

Reactions: alekos
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones