• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Latest Update Watch Out!

I've done this twice now! (I didn't learn the first time) ;)

Now I'm sure the version did not update this time and the phone went back to factory defaults.

I'm wondering what version other people in the UK are running?

I'm running.

Model number: E10i
Firmware version: 1.6
Baseband Version: Unknown
Kernel version: 2.6.29 SEMCUser@SEMCHost # 1
Build number: 1.1.A.0.8

Reactions: peebles
Upvote 0
It must be my PC software thats doing it. I'll try unistalling and reinstalling before the next update.

Can't notice any differences though and SE don't appear to have any change logs?

I used over-the-air update as my PC runs Linux so can't use the SE PC companion software for updating. As far as changes go I'd only had the phone for 1 day before updating so hard to say but it does seem like the battery life has improved since updating.

Upvote 0
I made the update 10 days ago and I have the same System info after update:
Build number: 1.1.A.0.8

No problems with installed applications (I made update by WiFi using Update function from Android).

Upvote 0
Checked last night and I too am now on

Build number: 1.2.A.1.174

Not sure what has changed but it looks like they have merged Roadsync and Roadsync Calendar as I am missing the Calendar icon.

Does anyone know where I can look to see what has changed? Why don't SE have any details on what they are doing to your phone?

Upvote 0
I've had a bit of a look to see what is new with the latest 1.2.A.1.174 update and here's what I've found.

1, Changes to the way standard text is displayed (not major just looks a little different)

2, New Widgets (Smart Search, RoadSync Tasks, Recent Calls and Status switch)

3, Looks to respond quicker when you hit the unlock key

4, Update to track ID

That's all I've found for now but I'll post any other differences I find.

Upvote 0
3 quick qustions (my turn to not google before asking) related to updating the firmware without loosing content.

1)
What software/app do you use to backup/restore sms/mms (or save mms content to SD card, I've got around 4000 sms/mms with a lot of content I don't want to loose)

2)
Do you re-download/install the apps you've got - or do you have any means of backing up the install packages? (and what about app settings?)

3)
Is there any content on the original SD card that the phone needs?
Or will it "populate" a new one with the files needed?

(the missing 4th question, for those of you that haven't used it yet - the SE website has a tool/account you can sign in for backup/restore your contacts. In my opinion they should've made this a PC/Linux/Mac tool to takke care of other contents as well)

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Since I uninstalled and reinstalled the SE Update Service it hasn't wiped the phone. :D

1)
I just use the Backup and Restore app that comes with the phone. It backs up messages, bookmarks, call log, contacts, MMS and system settings. It puts the backup on the SD which isn't touched by the the upgrade.

2)
I don't run many apps but I have no way of backing these up I just reinstall and set them up again.
The biggest pain is k9 as I always forget the yahoo mail server settings.

3)
Not sure but when you update it does leave the SD contents like mp3's and photos. I would've thought if you put a new blank SD card in it would put all the files and folders it needs on there?

Upvote 0
What's the deal with this new firmware? (1.2.A.1.174)
Now my contacts is doubled, not all but most of them.
Rebooted the phone to change the SD card and when I was about to dial out and scrolled through the list I noticed it.

Crazy.
The sync is ok, the number is right but there's two of all (and no, I've nothing in the SIM, only on the phone)

Upvote 0
Were you using a syncing service like Gmail or SE's own sync? Should be able to resync your contacts. Or have you done a save to SD card at any point in the recent past on your contacts?

The free apps from the market you will have to redownload. I am lead to believe that any purchased apps are linked to the google account you created when you first got the phone so can be reinstalled too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones