• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LauncherPro Beta: Great app, slightly slow

mrcizzo

Lurker
Jun 7, 2010
Phone: Motorola Droid

Much like everyone else who downloads this application, I got tired of the default home screen and wanted it to look nicer. I was jealous of the Nexus One's menus and wanted it, bad.

After browsing a few message boards, this is the one most people recommended. LauncherPro. It flaunts the fact that it is one of the few of the home screen replacement apps that is smooth, stable, and beautiful. I don't deny any of those claims but I do have some things I don't like about it.

PROS:
1. Smoooth
- This application is definitely smooth. The animations are perfect and scrolling through your apps is very responsive.
2. Stable
- I had very few problems with this app and it's smooth like a baby's bottom.
3. Beautiful
- This is probably the best looking home screen in my opinion. There are others out there but they are usually very cluttered with a lot of unnecessary settings that aren't very user friendly nor is it really useful. This one gives you all the right settings.

CONS:
1. Force Closes on restart of phone
- I've had a repeated problem where if I were to restart my phone, it would give me a wonderful Force Close error on boot. If you hit the wait option once or twice, it will work but that Force Close message never fails to appear on boot.
2. General problems
- The problems I've stumbled upon while using this home screen replacement is that when going from an open app and then back to your home screen may cause you some problems. I've had numerous occasions where my entire home screen was blank. It's blank and the entire screen, including the buttons, become unresponsive. Give it a few seconds and all your icons immediately populate and everything you've pressed happens all at once causing a hurricane of presses and actions.

As you can tell the PROS obviously outweigh the CONS but some will say, including myself, that a lot of the CONS were due to the limitations of the phone itself. Not sure if the problem occurs with everyone else but it's definitely a prevalent issue that I was able to replicate on mine.

All in all, great app, great looks, great feel, and great speed. If you don't want to look at that ugly default home screen of yours, this is the app for you!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones