• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Legal tethering using Droid X hotspot

BrianSusan

Dec 25, 2009
Has anyone switched from a standard home internet to using just the droid X hotspot capabilties? If so how does the cost compare? I am considering getting two droid x's and paying for tethering if it will repalce my normal home internet which is via satellite and runs $45 a month.

I'm not sure if tethering via root access is necessarily, "illegal." It may be breaking Verizon's TOS, but I don't know about getting in trouble with the law. If that's the case, it seems a bit harsh.
I think this may be touching on the differences between civil and criminal law. You could be "in trouble with the law" in that you conceivably could end up in court but I think that it would at least initially be a civil rather than criminal matter. And it would probably take more than a simple ToS violation for anything to go to court, but if there were disagreements that the two parties could not resolve themselves regarding the results of or response to a ToS violation then it could go there.

Upvote 0
I really doubt you would get in trouble at all, I used AT&T 3G tethered for free a couple years ago for my main houshold internet. I had just moved and needed something till I got cable, ended up using it for 3 to 4 months at over 5 gigs every time. I think the ABSOLUTE WORST that could happen is they will cancell your acount for over usage, which has happened to people on AT&T in extreme situations.

Upvote 0
When I said "legal" I meant in compliance with TOS using the new droid x capabilites. If I use internet I have no issue paying for it I was just wondering if using it could actually replace me home internet. It appears most use in place of an air card but I have not heard of anyone using to it "replace" home internet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones