• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's Be Honest About The Battery Life

I'd always assumed Mobile Data was the worst offender, I don't think that's entirely true now, having read some of the posts here.

The offender is actually weak 3G signals where the phone is continually switching between 2G and 3G trying to lock onto a decent signal.

The villain of the piece then is actually my network provider! I live and work in poor 3G areas so I always turn Mobile Data off. That's why my battery lasts so well, but if I had a decent signal it sounds like I could leave Mobile Data on and not suffer too much.

In the UK the coverage for data is still pretty poor if you're anywhere other than a city centre.

Reactions: widehead
Upvote 0
I'd always assumed Mobile Data was the worst offender, I don't think that's entirely true now, having read some of the posts here.

The offender is actually weak 3G signals where the phone is continually switching between 2G and 3G trying to lock onto a decent signal.

The villain of the piece then is actually my network provider! I live and work in poor 3G areas so I always turn Mobile Data off. That's why my battery lasts so well, but if I had a decent signal it sounds like I could leave Mobile Data on and not suffer too much.

In the UK the coverage for data is still pretty poor if you're anywhere other than a city centre.

My 3G & H is actually pretty poor in my nearest city centre.

Upvote 0
i must admit when i upgraded from my n95 8gb i noticed how poor the battery life is, but the nokia is like a ford mondeo diesel, and the desire is like a ferrari FXX, and no matter how you try your never gonna get as far in a ferrari as you are in a rep mobile on the same amount of fuel.

i know its a dodgy comparison, but what the point of having something that does so much as the desire does, then turn it all off to make it last longer.

i use the phone a fair bit during the day, twitter, you tube, web, texts and calls and i know i have to charge it every night, which is not a problem as i dont need it when im asleep.

awesome phone, great apps, small fuel tank, no problem.

Upvote 0
You think Desire's battery life stinks? I have 3 phones that has much worse battery life than the Desire, the Charm and LG Shine Plus are a joke in battery life and my Blackberry Pearl is terrible and yes Blackberries are supposed to be king of battery life. These phones make the Desire look good in battery life, I can go a day with the Desire whereas with those 3 listed phones I mentioned can barely go 6 hours without recharging again (I have to charge twice a day sometimes).

Upvote 0
You think Desire's battery life stinks? I have 3 phones that has much worse battery life than the Desire, the Charm and LG Shine Plus are a joke in battery life and my Blackberry Pearl is terrible and yes Blackberries are supposed to be king of battery life. These phones make the Desire look good in battery life, I can go a day with the Desire whereas with those 3 listed phones I mentioned can barely go 6 hours without recharging again (I have to charge twice a day sometimes).

What? I think something is wrong with your Pearl then. My Pearl was outstanding. I could go two full days of heavy usage without a charge.

Upvote 0
So how do you do this & what's the benefits?

Will it switch itself back on when something syncs or when you get a call or text & then switch itself back off?
Settings/wireless and networks/mobile networks/ untick the box for always on data.

Yes it will come back on for sync etc, it don't turn off network connection for calls and texts only data so wont affect this.

I guess the benefits are improved battery life. I'm not entirely sure of the benefits for leaving it on.

Reactions: ianb11
Upvote 0
Settings/wireless and networks/mobile networks/ untick the box for always on data.

Yes it will come back on for sync etc, it don't turn off network connection for calls and texts only data so wont affect this.

I guess the benefits are improved battery life. I'm not entirely sure of the benefits for leaving it on.

I'm guessing it will automatically switch itself off & on as required?

Upvote 0
It will but I found on Tmobile this actually eats MORE battery than leaving it on 24/7 as it has to establish a connection everytime you need it.

The more you have syncing/updating the worse it'll be.

I guess this is influenced by the amount of usage of wifi vs data. i am able to connect to wifi for most of the day so I would guess that for me it is better to turn off always on data. I will turn it on though for a few days and see how the battery fairs. I am on T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
add widget - settings - mobile network

it adds a "off and on" button. Basically, regardless of what update settings you have, if Mobile Network is off, none of those things will update until you turn MN back on.

It saves huge amounts of battery; most likely because your google account is continually syncing - try adding a calendar entry on a PC, then see how long it takes for it to appear on your phone; it's pretty near instant, so it seems to me that the google account is continually checking the cloud for updates and every change you make on your phone is also replicated in the cloud ready for when you log in on a computer.

I'd much prefer google to at least give you the option of an timed sync, rather than it do it constantly.

So, turn off Mobile Network, you can still make calls and do texts, but none of the online features will update.

EDIT - in the settings section you can turn off "background data" which presumably stops your google account continually syncing? I'll this today and see what happens, I'm guessing that the apps that have timed update periods will work ok, but gmail and calendar will need to be manually syncd??

Upvote 0
Been a week since my purchase. Upgraded to Froyo over the last weekend (switched from an Arabic ROM to WWE).

Not too concerned about the battery. Runs a whole day.

-> WiFi is my primary usage - browsing & VoIP calling.
-> Regular calls are done mostly during the day time.
-> Otherwise, just fiddling around with apps/games.
-> I hardly ever listen to the radio. Music/Video sessions are rare, too.

All in all, content with how it has been running. I charge it overnight and am good to go the following day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones