• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Esteem DOES NOT hold a charge for long anymore

daydreamingby

Oct 12, 2011
Hey guys, here's my situation:

Originally my LG Esteem would be fully charged at 10pm for example, and the next day at 6am, the charge would remain still at around 80% (on stock ROM, and everything).

Sure, later I added a Recovery, and stripped down ROMS, as well as an automated setting to gain even more juice, and yes, I saw even more improvement on battery life, both in idle and on load.

Over time though the battery would not hold a charge as much as it used to, even with different roms, and settings. So I though maybe buying brand new batteries would help but it didn't. Even the extended batteries with the best reviews on Amazon didn't help much, because the overnight loss of energy was still worse than before.

The problem for me is not leaving it charging overnight, I don't care about that. I just wonder why the phone doesn't hold a charge on idle as well as it used to, even with both brand new OEM batteries, and aftermarket batteries.

Finally, I removed every trace of a Recovery and edited roms, and went to stock completely, but the problem remains in comparison, and average.

Any help?

Reactions: jahunt78
[REF] THE Battery Calibration Method - Android Forums
Try this method and see if it helps. Do you think it could be your charger?

Thanks, and I don't think so, I use both original wall and usb chargers, as well as new ones I bought over time. I stay clear of the cheap chinese wall chargers from amazon though, usually get more expensive ones with good reviews from some lithium-ion guru that reviews every now and then.

Upvote 0
Hm.. What about charger socket on your phone?

I'll try that calibration method you posted, it's a little different than what I used to do (Charge 100%, use and let it die on it's own, repeat. Also reset battery stats from the Recovery).

Don't know about the socket on the phone, but it seems to charge at 100% fine, and recognize chargers quickly.

Upvote 0
Small things known to have a huge impact on you battery life:

-brightness
-auto sync
-animations
-wifi (toggled ON)
-live wallpapers
-4G connection
-any apps running in the background (app lockers, antivirus, autokillers, custom lockscreens)
-overclocking, although it may not apply due to the fact that you went to stock and still had the issues.
-and over all the age of your battery.

Upvote 0
Small things known to have a huge impact on you battery life:

-brightness
-auto sync
-animations
-wifi (toggled ON)
-live wallpapers
-4G connection
-any apps running in the background (app lockers, antivirus, autokillers, custom lockscreens)
-overclocking, although it may not apply due to the fact that you went to stock and still had the issues.
-and over all the age of your battery.

Wireless signal is a BIG culprit too! If you have a weak signal all day, it WILL drain your battery almost twice as fast.

Upvote 0
Also using the phone while it is charging :eek:

Yup. That one shortens the life of the battery which eventually leads to poor battery performance.

Bluetooth on
Location on
Vibration mode on instead of ringing.

These things will also drain battery even if you're not using a bluetooth device or using gps, the fact that they are toggled on drains the battery as they are "broadcasting a signal"

Upvote 0
[REF] THE Battery Calibration Method - Android Forums
Try this method and see if it helps. Do you think it could be your charger?

You can try bump charging. Basically you let it charge to 100% then uplug and.turn phone off. Plug charger back in for 15 minutes. Unplug for 5 minutes then plug back in for another 15 minutes. i did this and it made a bigger difference than the other method.

Awesome! These 2 seemed to have done the trick! The battery now remains charged, and doesn't drain as fast as before on idle! Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
I found out that I had the same problem. I did everything that I these guys mentioned and nothing. The phone is not activated but I still like t play around with it and keep it as a back-up. I've flashed many ROMs and leave it at that, I didn't install any apps nor add an account, all I had on was the Wi-Fi and that's about it. I would leave the phone fully charged and in about 9 hours, it would be completely dead. I was curious to restore it with the back-up that was made and posted on this forum. I left for work and the phone only dropped to 100% to 81% in 10 hours. I find that a bit strange.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones