• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG Firmware Updates?

t sport 1978

Jun 21, 2010
London, UK
Hi all,

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S and am considering all the alternatives for an upgrade, the LG Optimus 3D is a very attractive phone but i have some questions for you LG owners.

How is LG's support in terms of support for firmware release? For example, i know that LG Opt 2X was released with Froyo 2.2, also the Opt 3D looks to be the same when it comes out. The 2X has been out a while now, how have you guys found it? Has 2.3 been released for you guys yet?

Samsung had a bad rep in the past for s/w updates, but my SGS has come a long way from initial release of Eclairs to now Gingerbread, every promise of firmware release has been fulfilled which is of course very important to me.

So, is LG worthy and can i expect ongoing firmware improvements?

Many thanks in advance.

So far, I'm not impressed by LG. They've had major issues with phones rebooting at shutting down unexpectedly, and announced they'd found the problem and a firmware fixing the issue was right around the corner. That was late April. Most of us have yet to see any new firmware, and especially one that fixes the mentioned problems.

2.3 will be coming "this summer". I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: t sport 1978
Upvote 0
So far, I'm not impressed by LG. They've had major issues with phones rebooting at shutting down unexpectedly, and announced they'd found the problem and a firmware fixing the issue was right around the corner. That was late April. Most of us have yet to see any new firmware, and especially one that fixes the mentioned problems.

2.3 will be coming "this summer". I'll believe it when I see it.

That's not good by the sounds of things, what is this reboot issue? Do you mean it doesn't shut down, but restarts instead? And does it effect all Optimus's Androids?

So you are stuck on Froyo?

In short you would not recommend LG then?

Upvote 0
Sorry, I meant "rebooting AND shutting down" :)
It's a pretty well known problem, been in the mobile press a few times and caught some buzz. Basicly, the phone will reboot randomly when in standby and the user will simply be met by the PIN-screen when they wake it up again. Since I don't fiddle with my phone 24/7 this has left me unavailable for hours several times already.

As for the shutdown issue, the phone will simply become completely unresponsive while in standby, as dead as if you removed the battery. Not even the power button works and you have to remove and insert the battery again to get it back on. Often happens at night when the phone is in standby for hours, so I'm always late for work when that happens. No phone, no alarm :(

As far as I know it only affects the Optimus 2X and it's twin, the T-Mobile G2x.

We're stuck on Froyo for now, but I'm sure 2.3 will come sooner or later. It certainly got the hardware for it and LG has always said, even since before release, that it will be getting it so they would get a colossal bollocking if they broke that promise.

In short, it's hard to recommend or not recommend LG. Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the phone but I don't love it (yet). If LG can fix the problems and get it up to 2.3 it'll be awesome, but I am far from impressed by LG's handling so far with their half-promises, fuzzy details and deadlines and a customer service that hasn't got a clue what's going on with anything. There's a thin line between miscommunication and lying.

Upvote 0
Yeaaaa, mine too. My Optimus 2x in several times got rebooting. I'm looking forward for gingerbread update from LG, but I doubt LG will release next version of gingerbread after that, because they only promised gingerbread upgradeable.

That's why I still keep my iPhone 3Gs, even that device has been 2.5 years old but I still got the latest version of OS. I'm happy with that, and sadly for Android. This Optimus 2x is my second android device. The old one just support until the Eclair, but with cyanogen I upgraded it to gingerbread, but still waiting for the one from LG.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones