• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G7 DAC distortion

Brbi2k

Lurker
Jan 7, 2019
My LG G7 has a weird issue: when I turn on the Quad DAC at the maximum volume music sounds distorted (bass clipping) and rotating the headphone jack creates static noise, plus it sounds worse then normal mode, I had this phone for 3 months... Using normal mode it has no noise or clipping whatsoever and jack doesn't create any static noise at all, and still plays loud

Have you tried this with a pair of good headphones too? (Assuming you're using typical earbuds.) If the headphones don't have those same issues, that might indicate that those particular earbuds aren't up to the task of whatever signal change is getting applied when Quad DAC is enabled.

Upvote 0
Have you tried this with a pair of good headphones too? (Assuming you're using typical earbuds.) If the headphones don't have those same issues, that might indicate that those particular earbuds aren't up to the task of whatever signal change is getting applied when Quad DAC is enabled.

I have tried Superlux HD681 and three more and all clip at high volumes, however, before two days it worked normally (no clipping or anything), it started yesterday and got worse today, this clipping my G7 DAC does is extremely severe, I thought all of my headphones had blown out drivers from how bad the clipping was... And normal DAC works normally... I am sure this is an hardware issue, I just don't know is it a headphone jack or DAC or amp...

Upvote 0
OK, so you have been trying different things to confirm it's probably something going on with your phone. Since this just started happening recently, the next thing to suggest is have you just restarted your phone? If the problem still occurs after a reboot at least that eliminates a one-off glitch and there's still something that needs to be addressed.
Of course that's just coming at the problem from the opposite direction, you're assuming it's a hardware issue, I'm assuming it's a software issue. But since it could be either one. Still puzzled as to why the sound is good without Quad DAC enabled but now sounds bad when it is.
Does this happen using a particular app or with several? (leaning back to a software issue)
That issue where there's a static noise when you rotate the headphone plug does indicate a hardware issue though. I'd try getting some electrical contact cleaner and give a squirt into the headphone jack. It's typically comes in an aerosol can, and it is nasty stuff -- lots of toxic chemicals in the ingredients list with long, multi-syllable names so use it in a place with good ventilation and not around little kids. But it does a really good job cleaning the metal contacts in things like switches and things, and when it dries leaves very little residue. (A headphone jack is one of the few things in a smartphone with a moving part, there's a spring-loaded metal contact towards the bottom, side edge.)

Upvote 0
OK, so you have been trying different things to confirm it's probably something going on with your phone. Since this just started happening recently, the next thing to suggest is have you just restarted your phone? If the problem still occurs after a reboot at least that eliminates a one-off glitch and there's still something that needs to be addressed.
Of course that's just coming at the problem from the opposite direction, you're assuming it's a hardware issue, I'm assuming it's a software issue. But since it could be either one. Still puzzled as to why the sound is good without Quad DAC enabled but now sounds bad when it is.
Does this happen using a particular app or with several? (leaning back to a software issue)
That issue where there's a static noise when you rotate the headphone plug does indicate a hardware issue though. I'd try getting some electrical contact cleaner and give a squirt into the headphone jack. It's typically comes in an aerosol can, and it is nasty stuff -- lots of toxic chemicals in the ingredients list with long, multi-syllable names so use it in a place with good ventilation and not around little kids. But it does a really good job cleaning the metal contacts in things like switches and things, and when it dries leaves very little residue. (A headphone jack is one of the few things in a smartphone with a moving part, there's a spring-loaded metal contact towards the bottom, side edge.)
It happens on both stock LG Music app and on Neutron MP, haven't tried other apps... I'll try to clean it with aerosol, but it looks weird... Also, my headphone jack doesn't seem very tight, I can move it up, down, left, right... This issue doesn't even need high impedance mode to start clipping (although I don't know if my phone is always detecting headphones as high impedance ones)...

Upvote 0
At least since the same problem occurs with more than one app it's very unlikely to be just an app issue. But if the headphone jack in your phone is so loose any plug you put in it is so loose that you can move side to side is very puzzling. Without being able to see hands-on what that's about I'm out of ideas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones