• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Spectrum ICS Update Bugs/Issues Thread

I'm having problems getting my PC to recognize my phone after the update. I've tried some of the suggestions posted elsewhere (unplug, change setting, plug back in; make sure it's plugged into phone first) and I've also re-downloaded the USB drivers from LG's website, but none of these things have fixed the issue. I've also been battling slow charge too (but the battery life is great, so that's not as much of an issue).

Is anyone else having problems getting a USB connection to their computer?

Upvote 0
Thanx... I'll wait until D2A and Neph have unlocked the bootloader unless it actually starts causing any probs.
Also a noob question... if I were to brick my phone, voiding warranty, couldn't I just run it over with the car and then get it replaced? How would verizon know it was bricked?
There are ways. I did it, twice as a warranty with no cost to me. Pm me and I'll give you help with returning under warranty.

Upvote 0
Just tried w/o unplugging, didn't help any. Any other ideas?

Same problem here... I updated drivers from LG and still couldn't see my SdCard but after a PC restart and USB reconnect, the problem seems to have fixed itself. don't know why but not complaining. I advise to keep trying. I also downloaded Driver Manager and let it do a scan and update while phone was attached via Mass Storage. Maybe that would help.

Upvote 0
I can't freeze or remove anything without loosing boot. As well my battery life is way down. And it was bad under 2.3 I have to charge it 3 times a day, and I don't use it, except for a few texts and a couple of call. Disabling Data, hasn't improved it much. I have pushed the .cab file several times as I found out the hard way I can't freeze or remove anything. I'm leaving it until someone unlocks the BL and deOdexes, and builds a rom. The battery thing is ridiculous.

Upvote 0
I had to open the USB connection type menu and reselect the option. For example, when I opened it Mass Storage was already selected but the computer wasn't seeing it. I just tapped Mass Storage again and it connected right away.

This is th, fix.

1. Make sure the usb is plugged into your phone before you connect to the pc.
2. When you connect to the pc, swipe down on the notification bar on the phone and clock usb connected.
3. Mass storage is selected by default; press it again.

... The pc will then recognize the phone.

It's a flaw with this device that's existed since it was released.

Upvote 0
This was posted in another thread.

No wireless networks dectected

I tried google talk today with voice to a computer and could not do anything anymore. Phone froze.

When in navigation the numbers don't fit on the screen. Time and distance.

Attachments

• 5b7c3bd2-182b-4836-9de6-ce252176874b.jpg
    5b7c3bd2-182b-4836-9de6-ce252176874b.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
I can't freeze or remove anything without loosing boot. As well my battery life is way down. And it was bad under 2.3 I have to charge it 3 times a day, and I don't use it, except for a few texts and a couple of call. Disabling Data, hasn't improved it much. I have pushed the .cab file several times as I found out the hard way I can't freeze or remove anything. I'm leaving it until someone unlocks the BL and deOdexes, and builds a rom. The battery thing is ridiculous.

Sounds like you might have a faulty battery, most of us are getting improved battery life and even on GB I could easily go all day with just a couple texts and/or calls.

Upvote 0
Give this a try.

Go to 'System Settings' > Connectivity. Then, tick the 'Ask On Connection'. Then, go to 'USB Connection Type' and choose Mass Storage.

Now, these two things contradict each other, but you generally want mass storage when you're connected to the PC, so that will set it as default. Then, ticking that box will force the phone to ask you which you want, which essentially takes step 2 from my previous instructions out of the equation. We can trick the phone into bypassing the flaw in the OS that doesn't 'see' the connection by making it bring the steps for the solution to us. :)

Let us know if that doesn't work.

Upvote 0
This slow charge crap is killing me. Yesterday my battery ran down to about 23% so I plugged it in to the oem cable and charger to an AC outlet and left it alone (please note I have a 3800 mAh battery), 5 hours later I grabbed my phone to head out and it was at 67% battery. I had only added about 12 apps to it since flashing the official ICS .Cab, all utility apps. This morning, without using my phone, or even turning the screen on, the battery has lost 7% in an hour.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I can not wait until aokp is working!

Fyi Samsung will give you a $100 gift visa card for your spectrum if you buy a GS3 or note 2. Gazelle and Verizon will give you $66, not that I am, but I did check...

Upvote 0
I have figured out PART of the problem causing my Spectrum to go haywire while charging. It' one particular charger. I have a charging station in my kitchen, where I plug my phone in, usually at night. We have two different USB chargers there. One of them, as soon as I plug the Spectrum in, it starts opening apps and messaging, etc on it's own. I just tried it three times. Plugging that charger in makes the phone act on it's own. The other charger, simply charges. I have a 3rd USB charger in the house that also causes no ill effects. Nor does the one in my car. So, the charger itself is PART of the problem, but has never caused any issues until the ICS swap. And from other complaints, I'm guessing there's something wrong with the USB port on the phone. My phone charges normally, and battery life is easily 2x-3x what it was 4 days ago. But there is something wrong with the software.

My next step is to pull those chargers out, and compare their stats. The one that's causing the problems, is also the slower of the two. And from the sounds of it, people are having issues when plugging into laptops, etc. I'm guessing the USB port or phone does NOT like low amperage charging sources.

And for the record, I've ALWAYS had problems getting my laptop to recognize that the Spectrum was plugged in. This is not new with ICS. And plugging into a USB port on a computer, has never been a viable option for me to charge my Spectrum. It won't charge that way...not if I use the phone at all. It'll drain faster than it charged. (that was pre-ICS though).

Upvote 0
This slow charge crap is killing me. Yesterday my battery ran down to about 23% so I plugged it in to the oem cable and charger to an AC outlet and left it alone (please note I have a 3800 mAh battery), 5 hours later I grabbed my phone to head out and it was at 67% battery. I had only added about 12 apps to it since flashing the official ICS .Cab, all utility apps. This morning, without using my phone, or even turning the screen on, the battery has lost 7% in an hour.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I can not wait until aokp is working!

Fyi Samsung will give you a $100 gift visa card for your spectrum if you buy a GS3 or note 2. Gazelle and Verizon will give you $66, not that I am, but I did check...

Mine charges from 20% to 100% in less than 2 hours. Have you tried factory reset, reinstalling using the .cab method, etc.?

Upvote 0
Give this a try.

[edited for brevity]

Let us know if that doesn't work.

Yeah, unfortunately all that still didn't work. Something must've been screwed up with the USB driver on the phone, because I went ahead and did a factory reset and that solved the problem. I don't know what the deal was, but for whatever reason the phone would refuse to recognize that it was connected to anything besides a slow-charge until after the factory reset.

Also, as a point of interest, the charging speed on my phone improved after the factory reset as well, and my wife's Spec (which pulled the update this morning) has no charging/USB issues either.

Upvote 0
Plugged the Spectrum into the charger last night even though it didn't need it. I used the charger that doesn't act wonky, and had no issues this morning. For some reason now, after ICS that one charger is useless to me! It says it's 800mA. It's also the slowest charger I have. The "good one" is an LG branded charger, and says it's 0.7A, and much faster....but more important doesn't make the Spectrum go crazy.

Upvote 0
Getting a glitching screen. Never seen this before on an android. If this was a windows machine it looks like the video card is going out. Is that even possible on an Android?

Auto brightness does not work at all.

Wifi automatically turns on when I've turned it off multiple times.

Improvements. Big list but best was fixing the cursor so I can actually see where I'm typing. (I know dev Roms fixed this but I could never get them to stop rebooting.)

Still thinking this might be a hardware problem....other opinions/ advice welcome

Upvote 0
Getting a glitching screen. Never seen this before on an android. If this was a windows machine it looks like the video card is going out. Is that even possible on an Android?

Auto brightness does not work at all.

Wifi automatically turns on when I've turned it off multiple times.

Improvements. Big list but best was fixing the cursor so I can actually see where I'm typing. (I know dev Roms fixed this but I could never get them to stop rebooting.)

Still thinking this might be a hardware problem....other opinions/ advice welcome
It took me a while to figure how to use auto-brightness. Apparently I had to set an optimal brightness setting, basically the highest setting I want to put the brightness at, then it would do its thing. I mean, I click auto-brightness and it gives me a scale, what the flip is that all about? lol

Reactions: reeseboy
Upvote 0
It took me a while to figure how to use auto-brightness. Apparently I had to set an optimal brightness setting, basically the highest setting I want to put the brightness at, then it would do its thing. I mean, I click auto-brightness and it gives me a scale, what the flip is that all about? lol

Haha I didn't even realize that the slider did anything when I clicked auto... now I can't decide how I want it set.

Upvote 0
So although I thought my problems were solved, apparently they aren't. My phone still doesn't detect a USB cord being attached to it (other than the "slow charge" state); I've successfully pushed the .cab, done multiple factory resets, and although it might connect to my computer once after the reset, all subsequent attempts do not work. I've also tried plugging my phone into other computers, and the phone still doesn't recognize that it's connected to a computer. No apps are disabled or frozen, it's set to "Mass Storage" for default, it's not set to ask for connection type, and debugging mode is enabled.

Any suggestions at all? It seems like it's a driver problem, but specific to my phone (my wife's phone works fine).

Upvote 0
Glad to see you got it figured out. For the fun of asking, what brand charger is the "wonky" one?

No idea....off brand or unbranded Chinese. It's always been my last choice, and I usually only used it if my wife had her phone plugged into the "good" or faster one. But it is VERY odd that it only started making the Spectrum go crazy after ICS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones