• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Linux-based OS for Intel Atom tablets?

ROBOCRIPPLE

Apr 9, 2016
I have a CHUWI Hi8 Pro tablet with Windows 10. When I bought it, it had a dual-boot configuration with both Windows 10 and Android, but removed the Android part so that I have all 32GB of eMMC storage for Windows 10. Now that I have another, better Windows 10 tablet, the ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus, I'm looking to install a Linux distro on the Hi8 Pro.

Is there any Linux distro fully-compatible with all of the hardware in Intel Atom devices such as the Hi8 Pro, including the touchscreen, WiFi, Bluetooth, and video drivers? Last time I installed Ubuntu (16.04), the touch screen didn't work and neither did WiFi or Bluetooth. I've also tried to have Android only on the device with the stock ROM, only to end up with the installation taking less than half of the internal storage. I have the same issues with RemixOS and PhoenixOS on the tablet as I did with Ubuntu.

Is there any other Linux distro or Android-based OS that is compatible with all of the hardware in Intel Atom-based devices?

Last edited:
I tried both variants and they didn't support all of the hardware; no touchscreen.

I guess I'll get a real PC then, or at least a Raspberry Pi 3.

You should be able to install Linux on it now. The latest kernel versions have fixed lots of things. I would try these 3 things:
1) latest Ubuntu distro version
2) latest Manjaro XFCE version (this guy has it working on his Chuwi Hi10 and even the touchscreen is working - https://forum.manjaro.org/t/touchscreen-chuwi-hi10-pro-working-but-needs-calibration/51363)
3) custom ISO respin by Linuxium for Atom devices (http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com)

Upvote 0
I've got Ubuntu 18.04 on an atom based HP pavilion10 X2. It runs really well, but no sound or touchscreen. I'll try Manjaro XFCE or the Linuxium for Atom devices.

Update - 8 August: Linuxium wouldn't even boot, but the last kernel update has given me partial touchscreen functionality - I can open & close apps, and pick menu items, but zoom with two fingers not working, here's hoping a future kernel update fixes that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a good idea; I support it. But I would like to add to it precisely the critical part of the job that Linux users always overlook. Have you heard about linux vps hosting? This is a must-have component that must be integrated with the host operating system. I know what I'm talking about because I have had many experiences using Linux as the basis for my work. I know what I'm talking about because I had much experience using Linux as a base for my job, and it was very convenient. After I changed my work activity, I had to change the rest of the features as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last time I installed Ubuntu (16.04), the touch screen didn't work
It's been a few years: Long enough now that you could try installing it agian, and see if it works now. But if you can't get the touchscrean to work, anoither option is useing it with a keyboard and mouse. Especially if you have a keyboard-mouse attachment for the tablet that turns it into a laptop computer.
and neither did WiFi or Bluetooth.
As for wi-fi and bluetooth: You could try plugging in a USB wi-fi/bluetooth thing and seeing if that works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones