• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root List of apps to safely remove, 2.3.3

Can 3G Mobile Hotspot be unistalled? Also, can the Email app be uninstalled without having another email app installed first? I just use the gmail app for mail.
3G Mobile Hotspot cannot be removed. It is buried in another app, the second "settings" app; removal of which will brick your phone if you remove it and reboot. I was the test subject....I know.

I have never tried running without an e-mail app, but I doubt it would be catastrophic if you removed it.

Upvote 0
Hey fellas, I accidentally uninstalled the stock browser without backing it up first, so of course now my voice search does not work. It just force closes.

Anyone have a link or whatever that I can use to reinstall the stock browser? I appreciate it in advance....

Jason
If you are running Android 2.3.3, PM me your email address.
I will send you a copy of the Browser app.......Titanium allows you to "send" an app by long-pressing the app and hit "send".

Reactions: jfever311
Upvote 0
3G Mobile Hotspot cannot be removed. It is buried in another app, the second "settings" app; removal of which will brick your phone if you remove it and reboot. I was the test subject....I know.

I have never tried running without an e-mail app, but I doubt it would be catastrophic if you removed it.

I removed the email app and am just using the gmail app and I have not had any problems. Do you know if it is safe to unistall the Search app (the standard one with the magnifying glass)? It says google when you launch it, but I have downloaded google search as well. Not sure what the difference is between the two other than in the settings there is a check box to enable your location when searching. I don't need the magnifying glass (I am not talking about the magnifying glass button on the screen) and google search.

Upvote 0
Just for S's & G's, one of you all who have rooted 2.3.3, please do a factory reset and see if your phone stays rooted. Mine won't and I am curious if it's just me.

FWIW I did run the factory reset today. Root is preserved. Also, noteworthy, it doesn't restore anything that came on the phone if you removed it (T9 Trace, Vcast, etc)

I removed it and the 'factory restore' wiped my other keyboards, so I had no keyboard to enter my google account login for the market to get a keyboard. Remember that.

Reactions: louis cyfer
Upvote 0
Time to plug Zeam again.

You can replace the "Home" app with Zeam Launcher....available free on the Market.
It is a minimalist launcher app that will alllow the hard search button to work with Google Search rather than Bing.
Great launcher!
i installed zeam. love it. i was gonna unistall home, but the phone warned me that there may be irreparable harm if i do that. is it safe to uninstall home?

Upvote 0
FWIW I did run the factory reset today. Root is preserved. Also, noteworthy, it doesn't restore anything that came on the phone if you removed it (T9 Trace, Vcast, etc)

I removed it and the 'factory restore' wiped my other keyboards, so I had no keyboard to enter my google account login for the market to get a keyboard. Remember that.
i left the keyboard for that reason. you can go to the market on the computer and tell it to send to the phone from there.

Upvote 0
If you are using Titanium Pro (the paid version) you can incorporate any app into the ROM and then it won't be deleted on a restore. Long press on the app and a menu wil come up. Scroll down to where it says something like "convert to system app" and press it. Some apps do not like to be part of the ROM (wifi tether for android for example) but the keyboards and home screens do fine. Once you have the one you want, you can remove the one you don't and it will no longer bother you. Hopefully a root method will be devloped for M100 so I can get all this crap off of here.

Upvote 0
i installed zeam. love it. i was gonna unistall home, but the phone warned me that there may be irreparable harm if i do that. is it safe to uninstall home?

Yes, but be VERY careful.
You must have Zeam set as the default launcher before removing the old "Home" app.

The problem here is that if there is any issue with Zeam....like you screwing it up or deleting it; you will not have a lanucher running and without a launcher you cannot fix the problem.

I deleted the "Home" app on my machine and I have no problems other than the one described below:

I suggest not trying to turn any launcher, or any other critical app, into a "System app" using Titanium. I did this with Zeam and it did not like the conversion.....almost bricked my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones