• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root List of Bloatware on the LG Optimus V

I'm lost about all this. Sorry about quoting so much so I may have become an overdoer at referencing after reading posts that refer to "it". After quoting it I have a feeling that I've walked through the mirror into some other world. It might be pleasant but it is certainly strange.

Does "all this" have anything to do with what I need to understand to
1. understand how to restore the stock qualities of my phone if needed
Ah TIL that's called "reverted"
2. what advantages rooting has
-so far I see, get rid of default apps I dont understand that take up space.
- my other concern is about apps that are essentially SPYWARE
I noticed that Plaxo and Tango cannot be removed. I dont know what they do or permissions.
- I would hope to make the phone have some good qualities that the mytouch had. (I bought one but in a month it died in an agonizing interesting way, but I digress.) for instance, I could go to different pages that were concurrently open in the browser. But my keyboard works better than the mytouch.
- I would like to remap that horrid juvenile :) key to . and the . to ,
- I dont know what else (I "can get apps that need rooting" means nothing to me, yet.)
- will rooting allow me to use a newer version of android?
3. How to root? At the starting gate -> I have a Virgin LG Optimus V, activated. I get unlimited 3G and messaging. talk time varies with $, month2month.
I found this page, just before writing this -
- which mentions flashing a rom as the multi-quotes below do. Oh, IdidNK.

So, I do know my way around Windows, Ubuntu, a Mac and a linux shell (well barely). I'm well familiar with freenode help channels so I'm in the ballpark but want to get the view from the bleachers before I go to the batting box.

Thanks for helping me. (And I dont know how to thank a post so that'll do.)

++Below is the really scary stuff that looks like the Red Queen and her court.++
LeslieAnn said:
Actually:
Rodimus, Stock + Xionia and Aphrodite (except Pure) all have Xionia kernels and should work on all phones. These are the very first OV roms, we used Xionia kernels from the Optimus S because we didn't have the ability to make our own at the time. While these should be usable on all phones and have the activation app, I highly advise against it simply due to age. By the time you get the apps updated, you will have little room left.

Bumblebee has a custom kernel that only works on old. Most others use stock or similar kernels, and also only work on old.

Harmonia and Harmonious Bumblebee use a custom kernel that includes support for new screens as well as old. Both are quite up to date and include the activation app and all stock programing codes.

Oh, and don't bother trying the activate app on GB roms, it triggers a hidden menu, which those roms don't have.

As for using the app, I have had to a few times due to experiments with OS roms, apps and kernels, but also, if your data speeds have been bad for a while, sometimes it will give them a jump start. That only works for Froyo, GB roms don't usually have this issue. Older Android was known to lose provisioning.

Thanks for the info Leslie Ann.
Not to many people asking about those ROM's but will keep the info handy in case it happens.
I have tried the Rodimus ROM and I thought it was a very good ROM, just no support anymore.
I know one of the other two ROM's people use to add the picasticks kernel to so it could be overclocked in the 800MHz range. But that was with the Novatek screen.

Will the picasticks kernel work with the Hitachi screens?

--------------------------
The Harmonia ROM and the HarmoniousBumblebee are the only two Froyo ROMs that can be flashed by both the Novatek screen Op "V's" and the Hitachi screen "V's" and both have the activate app.

The Bumblebee ROM will cause a Black screen with the Hitachi screen "V's" unless the Xionia kernel is flashed over it.

Whenever a device is rooted it is always recommended to install a custom recovery. The only two that are compatible for both screen versions is the Xionia v1.2518.6 for the Froyo based ROM's and the VM670NH recovery which will work best for all CM-7 IHO gingerbread ROM's.

It is always recommended to go to the backup option in the recovery and backup the currently installed ROM (this is called a nandroid backup) before flashing(installing) a custom ROM. It's best to do so after Rooting as you could delete something vital to the system function while having r/w permissions.

Use Titanium Backup or Fast Uninstall&Installer to backup all downloaded apps.
Never install an app that has been backed up when that very same app has been pre-installed with the ROM. Never install backed up system data. Both these things will cause the ROM to become corrupt.
-----------------
The Harmonia ROM and the HarmoniousBumblebee are the only two Froyo ROMs that can be flashed by both the Novatek screen Op "V's" and the Hitachi screen "V's".

The Bumblebee ROM will cause a Black screen with the Hitachi screen "V's" unless the Xionia kernel is flashed over it.
----------------
The Black screen will also appear because the kernel not being compatible with the screen drivers. This is the case with all IHO ROM's developed before October and all Froyo ROM's but the Harmonia and HarmoniousBumblebee which have the Xionia kernel.

Never heard of the recovery your using, where did you find it? Link would be nice.
The only way to know is for someone to flash it that had the Hitachi screen.

Maybe you could post further questions in a thread as we are taking this one off topic.
----------------

Upvote 0
I have the Lg Optimus Slider, but it came with the same crappy bloatware as all the others. Leaving almost no space after installing a few apps. I got so sick of running out of space. So I rooted my phone and I wanted to let everyone know it is possible to uninstall the bloatware as I eventually wasable to do. It took some time can't remember exactly how I did it, but on some it required finding the app in the market and an uninstall option was available there(I think because of Super User being installed) but the option to uninstall was not in the manage apps section. I was able to clear up a decent amount of space. Then I unrooted my phone cause I wasn't that impressed with the performance after rooting. I didn't bother to flash any roms (even though that is what the best part of rooting ur phone is) but since I didn't do that I also didn't have to do a factory reset and lose all my stuff. Just wanted to let people know that the bloatware CAN be removed to free up space.

Upvote 0
Gosh, I feel too dumb to even own a an android phone. I hope I don't have to address these issues. Can I simply add a little "card" thing and just use it for its intended purpose? Sound like some tweaking is necessary to use this phone in a seamless manner. I bet I end up with a slow connection (or whatever you call it) because I have no idea how to do all this stuff, and I'll be scared to mess up the phone altogether. Thanks for all this information.

Upvote 0
Gosh, I feel too dumb to even own a an android phone. I hope I don't have to address these issues. Can I simply add a little "card" thing and just use it for its intended purpose? Sound like some tweaking is necessary to use this phone in a seamless manner. I bet I end up with a slow connection (or whatever you call it) because I have no idea how to do all this stuff, and I'll be scared to mess up the phone altogether. Thanks for all this information.

You can still run the phone fine without any modding it just gives you better performance and full personalization with modding. Don't worry though it still works good strictly the way it comes out of the box.

Upvote 0
Will removing these applications increase internal memory? I have read conflicting reports. I know when I factory reset by phone I have roughly 160mb then after stock apps update it goes down to 130mb.

No it won't. The bloat is in system/app, all your user apps are stored in data/app.

I'm not sure what this means, but removing them does free up internal memory.

I did the following steps to free internal memory:

1. Uninstall updates (freed about ~10mb)
2. In Link2SD Actions -> Convert to user app
3. Move to SD card (freed another ~10mb)
4. Uninstall the programs (freed another ~5mb)

Again, it does work. I watched my free memory go from 15MB to 42MB today by performing these steps on all of my bloatware, stopping every step of the way to verify that uninstalling updates was not the only source of free memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones