• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Liveiness of the G2 Dev community?

VIO

Android Enthusiast
May 12, 2010
I know this is not an easy question persay but I would to get some feedback before I go with a G2 over a Nexus S.

In everyone's opinion how expansive, or aggressive, or even viable do you think the developing Dev community is/will be on the G2?

I see that perma-root has been achieved, but that is step 1 in the dev cycle of a phone. Are there any bootloader related concerns?

I'm asking because I am a power user and I really demand full unlocked potential from my Android Phones, something like the jury-rigged Droid-X position is not sufficient for me. I know the Nexus S situation will be unbridled progress and innovation as their are zero stumbling blocks in it's way (vis a vi the manufacturer), but I like the "4g" and physical keyboard of the G2.

Ultimately I just don't want to spend all the money of jumping ship on verizon and the cost of a new phone to not be able to overclock, run sshd, openvpn, custom kernels, etc, etc.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones