• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Location-based auto manager for WiFi, ringer, etc.

I've heard of an app called Locale that uses your location to control whether WiFi is on or not, or even when to silence your phone. Sounds great, but it's pricey and I've read lots of recent bad reviews. Are there any alternatives? I don't want one that's based simply on time-of-day, but location. Would be nice if it could silence the phone automatically in certain places.
I heard that Moto included their own version of this in the Razr, but I have the Galaxy Nexus.

Tasker has a steep learning curve, but it can do a lot more than Locale, and can use Locale action plug-ins too. Also, it has far surpassed Locale in popularity (100,000-500,000 downloads vs. Locale's 10,000-50,000).

Free alternatives include Llama and Automateit. Llama can do location-based actions, but I think it only uses cell tower proximity, not GPS.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones